[Support Guide] How do I transfer my domain name to (or away from) Netlify?

Great question!

Answer: you can’t transfer a domain name to Netlify - but, if you buy a domain using Netlify you can transfer it to another company.

Wait?!? What???

Netlify is not a domain name registrar. Registrars are the companies and organizations which sell domain names. Only official registrars can accept inbound domain transfers. Because we are not a registrar, you cannot transfer a domain name to us. :+1:

Netlify works equally well with or without the domain under our control, which means you can use Netlify with any domain you own purchased from any registrar. :smile:

So how do I use my domain name with Netlify?

This is covered in our custom domains documentation. The goal of that guide is to configure the domain name system (DNS) records for your domain to point to Netlify. And there is more than one way to do this - documented at the link above.

If you are planning to use the automatic DNS configuration option explained in that doc, there is more information about this in another doc called Managed DNS as well.

What about domains purchased via Netlify?

We try to configure them automatically for you, since all domains you buy from us are autoconfigured to use our DNS Hosting

Can I transfer them to another person or registrar?

Yes, and we are happy to assist with this! Currently, we will need to create a support ticket to complete the transfer. Please head to http://www.netlify.com/support and choose the transfer option from the dropdown menu.

Before we can transfer a Netlify-purchased domain to your control, you’ll need to create an account with Name.com, the registrar we buy domains through. Then we can transfer the domain name to your account with Name.com.

The basic outline of that process follows:

Note: The instructions above show the account code at the top right of the page. Name.com has updated their user interface and it might be in the middle or towards the bottom now.

Once you send us the account code, we will start the process of transferring the domain to you. When the transfer is complete, you will be able to do whatever you like with your domain name.

*If you experience any trouble with step 1 of the instructions in that link, you’ll probably need to verify your contact info via the Update button on name.com instead.

To find the Update button:

1. Log into your Name.com Account

2. Select the Profile drop-down

3. Select Default Contacts (https://www.name.com/account/contact)

This action will prompt the name.com system to begin the verification process by sending you an email with a verification code. Write us back after this has been completed so we can initiate the transfer.

5 Likes
Cost / Pricing of hosting Domains with Netlify?
DNS registrar recommendations for netlify
Trying to Move Domain From Squarespace to Netlify
Is Netlify a domain name registrar?
Ramifications of using Google Domains to making full use of the CDN?
Transfer domain away from Netlify domains
How to point the netlify DNS to Site Ground and transfer the domain AWAY from netlify to Site Ground?
I need to change the Nameservers
I want to transfer my domain
Domain to Name.com
Transfer Out Domain
I am so frustrated with Netlify, Never again doing business with you
How do you transfer sites to my existing domain? Currently being deployed from Github
How to point my domain I bought on netlify to heroku hosting?
Not able to add custom domain I just bought through Netlify
Domain costs more than 300% of purchase price to renew
Domain mapping from Wordpress to Netlify
Point my domains away from Netlify
Moving domain from Netlify
Point my domain to Google Cloud address
NEW .com DOMAIN ON NETLIFY
Move domain out Netlify
[Support Guide] Should I use Netlify to manage my DNS?
I switched my domain to Google Domains, but can't use their email service and still use Netlify DNS
Howto point my domain to a Substack URL as a redirect?
NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID and Subdomain not found
[Support Guide] DNS Quick Start - How to set up DNS
Is Netlify a domain name registrar?
Domain whois/transfer
Use Cloudflare Nameservers and remove Netlify Nameservers
[Support Guide] How do I migrate a domain to Netlify DNS with zero downtime?
Point domain to external target
How to point the netlify DNS to Site Ground and transfer the domain AWAY from netlify to Site Ground?
NS record is not working
Is it possible to transfer domain from Namecheap to Netlify?
Custom Domain Help
How Long Until Deleted Domains Become Available?
Domain transfer to Name.com for my account
Do I need an account with DNSimple if I'm using Netlify DNS?
Transferred domain renewal
[Asked Frequently] How to cancel an account
Transfer a domain to name.com
How to transfer domain name