Netlify has deleted my accounts, websites, and DNS records

TLDR: Pretty much all in the title. Netlify has deleted my accounts, websites, and DNS records, and are now not responding to my support tickets…

Here’s the situation:

1. On Saturday I created a simple one page site and uploaded it to my Netlify account. I use GitHub to login to Netlify.
  2. I tried to purchase a domain name through netlify. The domain name used to be assigned to another Netlify site I had – which I purchased through Namecheap. However that domain had lapsed and was no longer being used.
  3. As soon as I enter the domain to be added, I was kicked out of my account. A message from Netlify says Authenticating failed due to the following error: We already have a registered user with this email address. Log in to connect your GitHub account.. I can no longer log into Netlify with my GitHub account.
  4. I try logging in with my GitLab account and upload the site again. Works fine. But as soon as I try to assign the same domain name, I’m kicked out. I can no longer log into Netlify with my GitLab account.
  5. At this point NONE OF THE SITES I HAVE ON EITHER ACCOUNT ARE LIVE. Everything returns SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT error.
  6. I have some specific DNS settings on one of my sites that manages the email for that domain. I am getting emails from my email provider that the DNS records have been deleted.
  7. I’ve email support and they told me to attempt to re-register using email address, however I can’t because Netlify things that email address is in use.
  8. If I reset the password, I also need to enter a 2FA code, which I don’t have because I used GitHub and GitLab to set up the accounts. 2FA codes for those site aren’t working for the Netlify login (as expected).
  9. I was able to re-login with my GitLab account. However none of my old sites are there. It’s like the account has been created from scratch. It seems that Netlify has deleted everything.

It’s important to note that the domain name I was attempting to assign to a site isn’t explicit or contain any banned words of phrases. The website content doesn’t have anything illegal, or anything that would constitute copyright infringement. None of the sites I have on Netlify are illegal.

It seems that I’ve hit some super weird edge-case bug related to how Netlify manages DNS. Like I said, I’ve email Netlify support, but they’re not responding. My only other hope is that someone sees this post and does something about it.

It’s now day 4 without any response from Netlify.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for surfacing this @not-johnny I have escalated your query to our fraud and abuse team. They will follow up with you via email on ticket #247254

Thanks for your reply, but this situation still hasn’t been solved. My sites still aren’t restored, and my DNS records remain deleted. It’s been 5 days now and no one at Netlify support seems to be taking this seriously, and I get the sense that this ticket is bouncing around junior support agents.

Again: Netlify has deleted my sites, accounts, and DNS records, either by accident or otherwise.

Thanks for surfacing this. I have informed a team member to take a look at your ticket.