Name has a conflicting custom domain in another account

I’m trying to move our DNS to Netlify for the domain torontojs.com, but another account has already apparently added the domain. We’ve checked in the org and nobody has found it in their account, so we would like it released manually if possible. For now we’re using the apex cname method but would like to move fully to Netlify DNS hosting.

I’ll add the verified-for-netlify DNS TXT record asap with a link to this topic. Site ID is cc7bb679-455a-4156-8671-b53a8707f332

Thanks!

the DNS record has been added

Hi kieran when I tried to verify your domain it shows up as invalid. Did you follow the instructions in this guide?

Sure did! This is what I see when I dig the record:

% dig txt verified-for-netlify.torontojs.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> txt verified-for-netlify.torontojs.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57160
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;verified-for-netlify.torontojs.com. IN	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
verified-for-netlify.torontojs.com. 300	IN TXT	"https://answers.netlify.com/t/name-has-a-conflicting-custom-domain-in-another-account/84907"

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.1.1#53(10.0.1.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 07 10:24:22 PST 2023
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 156

Hi @kieran,

Thanks for the follow-up. It looks like you were able to successful add the domain torontojs.com to your site here.

You can configure External DNS by follow our Support Guide here:

You’ll follow option 1 for External DNS, by pointing an A Record for torontojs.com to 75.2.60.5. You’ll also need to create a CNAME Record pointing to torontojscom.netlify.app.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hey @Melvin

We have not been able to add the domain to Netlify’s DNS, as it is still assigned to another account. We’d like Netlify to host the DNS instead of using an apex CNAME

The error we’re seeing is:

name torontojs.com has a conflicting custom domain in another account

Can you please remove the domain from the other account so we can add it to this one?

Thanks!
Kieran

Hi @kieran,

Thank you for clarifying and letting us know the error you were seeing. You should now be able to add configure Netlify DNS for the domain.

Please let us know if you continue to have any issues. Thanks!

1 Like

im having the same issue. shadeaio.com is my website domain
and it says name shadeaio.com has a conflicting custom domain in another account

but I own the domain…

Please help

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

Please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.