[Support Guide] "another site is using this domain" Verifying domain ownership for Netlify custom domain

Last checked for accuracy in November 2021.

Are you receiving the error “another site is using this domain” when you are trying to add your custom domain to your netlify site?

Read on! This is easy to fix.

This is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you did not use the domain on one of your other netlify sites, we may have to ask you to verify that you own the domain. To do this, you’ll have to create a DNS record that we then check:

1. Go to do your domain host (Bluehost, Gandi, Google, etc.)
  2. Add a TXT record with the following characteristics:
  • Name: verified-for-netlify (some DNS hosts will want the dot at the end, so try creating the record both with and without it if the first attempt doesn’t work)
  • TTL: default
  • Text/Value: link to your public post or case number if we’re helping you in our helpdesk
  1. In the thread or ticket where we asked for this record, tell us you’ve done it so we know we can move forward :slight_smile:

We borrow this pattern from a small company you may have heard of, which has host-specific docs if you are having trouble finding where to add the TXT record we are asking for: Verify your domain (host-specific steps) - Google Workspace Admin Help

Need us to complete a verification for you? Please start a new topic and let us know your site name or API ID , and the domain you are trying to add.

9 Likes
"custom_domain is owned by another account" error
I am not able to use DNS Management of Netlify!
Forgot email account associated with Netlify, Please help me know email id from site & domain info
Error setting up new website for client – domain name owned by another account
Newbie help: Another site is already using this domain
Need old account deleted to allow DNS
Name is already taken, pangapps.com is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones
Self-service custom domain migration between Netlify accounts
Trouble with custom domain: custom_domain is owned by another account
I have deleted the previous site, but netlify still says "Another site is already using this domain"
Unable to set custom domain
Custom Domain is owned by a different account
Removed old site and domain, but still getting "Another site is already using this domain"
Current Owner cannot be contacted. I have the domain name ownership and can verify using TXT records needs to be done ASAP
DNS error when trying to assign domain name to my account
"Another site is already using this domain" issue
Conflicting zones when adding a custom domain
A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1 on my Webiste
Issue adding domain
Custom domain issue (already using)
"name is already taken, rarefy.co is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones
Issue transferring domain ownership: Another site is already using this domain
Custom_domain is owned by another account error message
Unable to add domain from domain and host provider, porkbun
Name is already taken
Another site is already using this domain (own domain, different team)
Can't use deleted account's domain - “custom_domain is owned by the other account”
Custom Domain Showing not owned by me
Can't use deleted account's domain - “custom_domain is owned by the other account”
Netlify DNS says Name is already taken when registering a new domain that I know is not taken
Another site is already using this domain - help needed
[Support Guide] I'm getting errors when adding my domain to Netlify or configuring DNS zones
[Support Guide] Compiled resources for custom domains on Netlify and DNS settings -- start here!
DNS record updated yesterday! please transfer domain
[Support Guide] What you can do about this error message: "A DNS zone for this domain already exists under a different account"
Custom_domain is owned by another account (event it is not)
Need verification for plamen5kov.com
Error when trying to add my domain to my new user custom_domain is owned by another account
[I need to add a domain which was used on my employee's ID before]
"domain_aliases is owned by another account"
Problem Adding Custom Domain - Another site is already using
Add existing domain to dns got Name is already taken, <domain> is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones
"Another site is already using this domain"
“custom_domain is owned by another account” error
Having issues with custom_domain is owned by another account
Deleted project and old domain site
Not Found - Request ID: xxx
Getting “Another site is already using this domain” But my domein is fully new
"custom_domain is owned by another account" error when adding a custom domain
Missing team and site for ethllamas.com
Name is already taken, {domain} is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones
Error when trying to add my domain to my new user custom_domain is owned by another account
Error in adding custom domain: "Domain is already in use"
Domain Name is already registered?
Getting error Custom_domain is owned by another account
Domain is already registered
“custom_domain is owned by another account” error when adding a custom domain
Netlify custom domain not showing up in the site domain settings
Already verified with google TXT black-ed.com ownership
Netlify does not fetch images from wordpress
Lost access to my Github/Email account now can't access my Netlify account
Switching domain between sites
Custom Domain in use
Domain name in an account that is not available to us
Switching domain between sites
Custom domain is owned by another account
Add custom subdomain - error
Custom_domain is owned by another account while i removed the domain from other account
DNS Zone issue - this domain already exists
"conflicting the ownership with other existing zones"