FIXED!: Drag & Drop Issue Status & Workaround

Thank You so much. It worked for me. Keep it up.

2 Likes

Hello Kai, I have a problem, it seems that the same infinite load error in the deploy is active again, I have been trying to upload my page for several hours and it does not load, it is made with html, css and js, could you help me? here the link of my site https://fraustosphotography.netlify.app/

Hey there, @todocheatsgaming3 :wave:

Thanks so much for reaching out. Looking at your site, it loads well and I can see several images. Additionally, looking at your deploy summary, it looks like you had active deploys as recent as June 7th. Can you confirm if you are still encountering obstacles? If you are, can you please share your project repository as well as your deploy log and any error messages you are seeing?

Thanks!

Hello, I’m running into this issue with a manual deploy for a project. I’ll try using the command line, but is there anything I could do to enable drag and drop?

Same problem now! Trying to manually deploy React build folder causes an infinite “Creating deploy upload records” message. Deploying the test folder with random files seems ok, however the actual “build” folder from react doesnt work.

Hi folks! Thanks so much for reaching out. Have you read through this support guide and worked through the suggestions? Additionally, did deploying through the command line work?

If those don’t work, please provide your site name and the debugging steps you have taken.

hey there, @alnis and @flackery

I have looped in our Support Engineers to investigate this further on your behalf. Could you please share a HAR file with this happening? Additionally, could you share the impacted site?

If you do not wish to share this publicly, you can DM the information to @hrishikesh and myself.

It looks like the issue is back. Last manual deploy worked on Friday 15th, 2022 for me. Today the “Netlify’s robots are busy deploying your site to our CDN.” does not disappear…
As mentioned here, using the CLI is not an option for me.

Thanks for fixing.

BR

Philipp

Hey there, @Philipp :wave:

Thanks for reaching out. As I mentioned above, can you DM a HAR file of this to either @hrishikesh or myself? This will help us investigate further.

I just tried it again and after it didn’t work several times yesterday, it worked now. So everything’s fine for the moment.
In case it happens again: Is there a HowTo create a HAR file?

Thanks

Philipp

Hi @Philipp

Here are the instructions on how to get the HAR file:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/har_analyzer/

If this happens again, please DM us that file so we can investigate!

This is happening to me currently. Stuck on the first line in terminal using drag and drop

I managed to get a response with some transparency here:

Netlify don’t believe it to be a re-occurance of the bug that prompted this thread, but simply that the “Drag & Drop” feature is inherently prone to failure.

It’s dependent on things like the size of the project being uploaded, your browser memory and the stability of your network connection.

The worst part of its behavior is that it doesn’t provide a timely contextual error message when it does fail, so you can end up stuck on a spinner for an extremely long time, and then you aren’t guided as to what went wrong or how to fix it.

As Netlify consider it the “least-desirable and least-capable upload method”, they’re unlikely to improve it, so if possible you really should use the Netlify CLI, which is a core part of their system and likely to be much better supported.

@dan_troyer Just check the support guide that they posted:

There are apparently many ways that the “Drag & Drop” feature will fail almost silently, so you just have to check your project for the various ways that it’s known to fail… or give up and move to the Netlify CLI.

Thanks.
Post must be at least 20 characters

As mentioned here, using the CLI is not an option for me:
“Using the CLI is not an option, because it’s a Blazor app and Node.js is not installed as instructed on the “Get started with Netlify CLI” site.”

Maybe there is a better way to upload. Let me describe my process. If you think, it can be improved, don’t hesitate to tell me:
It is a Blazor PWA. I use Visual Studio 2022 and github. Before I publish, I run an Excel marco, that works as an obfuscator. As an example, it renames all variables to v + a number, e. g. var price = 123d; is replaced by var v1 = 123d;. After creating the publish files, I undo all the changes, because obviously I do not want to work with these cryptic variable names. This is important, because I do not commit nor push the obfuscated code.

Thanks

Philipp

@Philipp The only blocker that I’m seeing in what you’ve mentioned is that “Node.js is not installed”.

Presumably if you’re using the “Drag & Drop” method you’re ending up with a folder/archive of the output?

The idea would be that instead of doing the “Drag & Drop” you would install Node on your system and then use the CLI to Deploy the contents of the folder.

1 Like

To be honest, I did not want to do this, because in my opinion, why should I use the command line and type letters with the keyboard instead of using a GUI and just drag n drop a folder. But OK, I am not this old.

It took me a while to be able to use the CLI. Therefore, here’s a beginner’s HowTo:

1. My needs are simple: I just want to deploy a local folder.
  2. Install Node.js.
  3. Open cmd.exe.
  4. Execute npm install netlify-cli -g. Wait some minutes.
  5. Execute netlify login. In the new browser window click “Authorize”
  6. Execute netlify deploy -p --dir=<folder to publish> --site=<netlify destination>, e. g.
    netlify deploy -p --dir=/Users/.../publish/wwwroot --site=beautiful-uploader-234269.

That’s all.

Philipp

I had to reinstall Windows and Visual Studio. During the VS installation, I chose to install node.js. The problem was, that no environment variable was created and therefore, the command npm install netlify-cli -g was not known. To solve this, simply add the new environment variable:

1. Win+R
  2. sysdm.cpl > OK
  3. Advanced > Environment variables…
  4. Under “System variables” double click “Path”
  5. Add new one at the end, e.g. “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\NodeJs”

Also make sure to run cmd as administrator.

Thanks for sharing this with the community!