Upcoming changes to Netlify plans

A post was split to a new topic: Looking for additional options regarding Netlify changes

Yep! All three offer deploy previews. If you just need frontend hosting with preview they are great options. We just finished the move to Amplify. It was pretty straightforward, especially if you have domains with Amazon.

Cloudflare Pages was something we wanted to try, but it doesn’t support monorepo at the moment, so that is something to keep in mind.

As a Netlify customer, I am completely FRUSTRATED by the change to git contributors and the rollout of these changes. This IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. It’s awful, harsh, and a DISHONEST movement towards us and ALL other Netlify customers.

It shouldn’t be on us to check the support forums every day for breaking changes and post-implementation notice is not enough. If we did this with a client, there’s a very good chance we’d be fired.

I am honestly considering leaving Netlify by next Tuesday. If you guys made a movement of this type today, what will you do next year?

This will make our costs at least 4x higher without ANY ADDITIONAL FEATURE. And you know how we discovered it? When our deploys STOPPED WORKING as they USED TO.

Our account is meza-digital and many websites are with pending deployments. This is not what we agreed when we bought your services, and we require you to turn this abusive rule down.

3 Likes

For me, it makes sense to make pressure on Netlify’s CEO.
I have made it directly through LinkedIn, in case anyone wants to share:

1 Like

The answer you are looking for is an increase to MRR. Gotta keep those VCs happy, no matter how many customer faces you have to step on in the process!

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Agency and changes to Netlify Plans

It’s extremely concerning to me that Netlify’s messaging indicates the only issue they see is with the communication they provided, not the change itself.

Imagine if your local pizza shop suddenly started charging the cost of the pizza multiplied by the number of people that would be in the room when you ate it… and if 7+ people were there it becomes an “enterprise pizza” at 158x the cost.

To be clear, you only get the same amount of pizza, but because we feel everyone that eats the pizza is getting value from it, you should pay many times over.

5 Likes

This is so incredibly frustrating. Our builds have been broken for 2 days, totally breaking our teams workflow with NO notice. And I didn’t realize there was a change in pricing or plans until an apology email was sent to our billing email?

Absolutely infuriating. I am seriously going to look at other services after this. This pricing plan just doesn’t reflect how my team uses Netlify.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far, folks. As I’m sure you know, we’ve been hearing a lot about this in various channels and our team is working hard to adapt based on this feedback. Our leadership is reviewing threads like these, tweets, helpdesk tickets and the like. Small status update, since we’ve been really busy and are still working to respond to all of the individual feedback and won’t finish that work today:

1. For everyone who contacted us about their concerns before about 0000 UTC Saturday 30 Apr, and is on an impacted Pro or Business team, we attempted to email your billing contact in our system with next steps. If that is you, and you didn’t receive, or can’t find that email (it came from noreply@hubspot.com, but is set up to funnel responses to our helpdesk), please contact us in the helpdesk by following this link, and we’ll review the provisions we can put in place for you today.

2. If that isn’t you - you too are on a Pro or Business team, and have concerns but didn’t discover the changes before then, or haven’t spoken up yet - please also follow this link to the helpdesk to let us know, and we’ll be happy to work with you.

Apologies for our slow responses during these changes - we know we should have done better before, during, and now, and are working very hard to repair our relationship with you.

@fool Can you provide some detail as to why the response to this by Netlify is being taken “off thread”, which is to say it seems to be being conducted in private with each of the parties that are raising the issue, rather than any kind of blanket resolution.

It reads a bit like you’re offering special deals to those that complain, but to everyone else they just have to suck it up.

3 Likes

Can someone let us know what kind of deals are being offered?

We use Netlify for 1 static site that our team uses internally and it’s definitely not worth $19 x 4 engineers who may contribute to it from time to time. Would love to have the old plan with less build minutes and bandwidth back if possible.

1 Like

I’m not sure what tech stack you’re using, but if there’s no movement from Netlify (which we’re still holding out hope for!), then you might be better served by Cloudflare Pages, since there’s no “per-seat” charge for contributors, (and you probably only need 1 concurrent build), so you may even be able to leverage their free account offering.

Just seen the email. Whilst acknowledging the communication error, the fact our concerns over the major pricing increase haven’t been mentioned or even acknowledged, is really disappointing.

Please consider the scenarios mentioned in the thread, with clients having accounts for billing purposes only, and requiring a dev/ops (myself) to manage. Not even mentioning the fact that this completely breaks Netlify CMS!

I can’t state how disappointed I am with this change. In comparison to other options Netlify has never been the most affordable, but I always justified the pricing. This will no longer be the case, and becomes untenable.

Once again - please reconsider this.

3 Likes

We have received your apology email. And we have also answered you.

But I think we have to attend to two different problems.

One the miscommunication of these major changes and the disruption of our workflow without notice (:white_check_mark: Solved).

On the other hand, your new pricing plans don’t fit the reality of a small agency like us (:fire:).

Until now you have focused on apologizing and restoring service to affected customers.

But you have not said anything about whether you are going to continue with the new pricing policy.

We have 30 days to prepare for this change. But in our case we don’t know what to do…

With your new price plan we would be forced to pay an amount that we cannot afford.

And what we don’t understand is why pay more than x7 times for the same thing.

You force us to pay for users when we are willing to pay for services.

And the worst thing is that if in the future we have to temporarily hire more developers for a new project or one of my clients asks me for access to the Github repository, we have to jump to the Enterprise plan for which we don’t even know the price.

We honestly do not understand your decision.

2 Likes

This pricing change comes unexpected and breaks our way of using Netlify.
We’re a small team mainly using Netlify for deploy previews, as it functions nicely out of the box.
We do not use netlify for production. So we don’t use much of the included traffic. We don’t use much of the included build minutes.
We were okay with paying an extra seat for a technical GitHub deploy user. But we do have several working students, and spending almost USD100/month to build a few deploy previews is not good value.

The alternative to spending so much money for little value would be to migrate from GitHub third-party app access for netlify to push from GitHub actions to netlify using the CLI. It would circumvent the increased costs, but it requires much more configuration effort and breaks the out-of-the-box use of netlify mentioned above.

Please reconsider this pricing change and consider the different types of use everybody has.

Thank you.

Where’s the CEO of Netlify to answer its customers!?

3 Likes

Hey HallsYeah and everyone else -

do know that the entire company is listening and we are all paying attention to this thread. I promise that we are internally discussing basically nothing but this, and there will be more information forthcoming soon. Of course we don’t want to respond in a kneejerk, un-thought-out way when clearly sentiment is running higher than we maybe expected.

In the meantime, do you have a specific question you mean to ask, or are you echoing a specific question mentioned above? we’re trying to track people’s specific concerns.

Hey existo,

quick question - have you been in touch with our partnerships team already? I’d like to get you in touch with them if you haven’t already spoken to them. do let me know! thanks.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Pricing changes - how do they affect agencies?

Wow. We just discovered that our build process is broken and I’ve found this forum thread. This is not a small price raise, Netlify. Pricing based off of number of contributors to the site rather than any metric about the site itself puts you way off base. Hopefully you’ve already realized that, but in case you haven’t, let me put it into clear terms:

This policy change is going to almost 10x our costs. Meanwhile, we’re already a Cloudflare customer and their Pages product is a flat $20/month option that more than suits our needs. I’ve generally been loyal to Netlify and despite paying more than I could, didn’t feel a burning reason to move off of it. Until now.

With our upcoming website refresh, we’ll be leaving unless this new policy gets reversed before the new website is ready to deploy. It’s about 80% complete.

I hope management is truly watching this. You’re scaling your revenue on the wrong metric and it’s going to kill your company because you’re pricing yourself out of the market.

3 Likes