Trying to connect TeeSpring

Hey there, I’m trying to connect TeeSpring (Dashboard | Spring) to our website, but whenever I try putting in the Record Type “A” information in, I get this message “dns_api peppertheapp.com - peppertheapp.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”

hi there, can you explain what you trying to do in a different way please? TeeSpring is an independent website, so i’m not sure exactly what you are trying to connect it to.

I would like to connect our custom domain name to Teespring to have an online store for our merch. When I follow the instructions in this picture

I’m getting that message I pasted above when putting in the “A” record type – “dns_api peppertheapp.com - peppertheapp.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”.

Our domain is bought through namecheap, but we use Netlify to host our site through custom DNS.

following up on this question, provided more information above

Hey there, @peppertheapp

Thank you for following up! As Perry mentioned, Spring is an independent website. This means that you will need to contact Spring in order to add a custom domain and receive support regarding this matter.

Best,
Hillary

Hi, @peppertheapp. I believe you are seeing the 400 - link exists, all config must be empty at Netlify.

That is because you cannot make an A record when a NETLIFY type record of the same name exists. I can see the NETLIFY type record for peppertheapp.com here:

https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/peppertheapp.com

You will have to delete that NETLIFY type DNS record before you can add the A record. Note, the NETLIFY type record is what points that custom domain to the site at Netlify. If you delete the NETLIFY type records, any sites at Netlify for that name you delete will do offline when you do so.

“Measure twice; cut once.” Be sure that is the record you want to delete before you do so.

For example, you might want www.peppertheapp.com and peppertheapp.com to point to the site at Netlify and then the store to be store.peppertheapp.com.

Again, you can delete the NETLIFY type records for peppertheapp.com and www.peppertheapp.com but then Netlify won’t serve the site anymore. That may actually be your goal and, if so, please feel free to do so.

By the way, if you are not connecting the domain to a site at Netlify, then we recommend not using Netlify DNS for the domain. You can have www and apex point to Teespring and have some other subdomain (like blog.peppertheapp.com) point to a site at Netlify, using Netlify DNS in that case is fine. It is just in a situation where there are no sites at all for the domain at Netlify, in that case using you registrar’s DNS is recommended.

1 Like