Sub-Domain only sometimes loads - Netlify & Hover

Hi there,

Hoping one of the resident geniuses can help with a sub-domain deployment issue!

Domain and Site Details:
Domain name: davidnugent˳me (purchased through Hover.com)
Netlify site: davidnugent-portfolio.netlify.app

Sub-Domain: links˳davidnugent˳me
Netlify site: linksdavidnugent.netlify.app

Top-level Exanation
I was looking to add a sub-domain to my portfolio site for sharing via QR code. I had previously successfully deployed (my now very outdated) portfolio site to davidnugent˳me without any issues.

Following a few guides online it seemed the best way to do this was to create a new GitHub Repo, deploy this to netlify and point the DNS to the desired sub-domain of links˳davidnugent˳me.

Now on the surface, everything appears to be working as desired, however I have found that the sub-domain only sometimes loads.

What seems odd to me is that davidnugent˳me always loads without fail, it only seems to be the sub-domain that has any issues. I am a relative newbie when it comes to hosting but my suspicion is that there is some kind of DNS-management conflict going on between Netlify and Hover. As such, I thought I’d post my config for DNS from both to give clarity:

Apologies for any naivety on my part - really keen to learn but struggling to use Google-Fu to find the right answer.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,

David

Hi @D-Nugent,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Netlify’s Support Forums!

From the screenshot provided, it looks like you’ll want to remove the two hover.com name servers. This way only the Netlify name servers remain.

whois davidnugent.me | grep -i "name server"
Name Server: NS1.HOVER.COM
Name Server: NS2.HOVER.COM
Name Server: DNS1.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS2.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS3.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS4.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: NS1.HOVER.COM
Name Server: NS2.HOVER.COM
Name Server: DNS1.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS2.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS3.P06.NSONE.NET
Name Server: DNS4.P06.NSONE.NET

We have a Support Guide On configuring DNS when using Netlify DNS with a domain purchase through another vendor here:

Let us know if you continue to have issues. Thanks!