Adding subdomain to netlify website without changing the hosting provider DNS nameserver

I want to add a subdomain to the netlify site without changing the nameserver since the main domain and other subdomain is using Wordpress sites. Documentation regarding adding sub domain suggest to replace the nameserver and use only netlify nameservers.

Is there any other way to add only a particular subdomain to the site?

I tried the solution as provided here : [Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar? - #12 by ekafyi

But did not work. getting an error: Error: The DNS zone file is invalid. (Line 104: project3.trushargavit.com: CNAME and other data)

Have you looked at the Configure external DNS for a custom domain documentation which explains how to configure a subdomain without using Netlify DNS.

1 Like

@jasiqli So I added CNAME as shown in below but got the same error.

Don’t see a CNAME record, see an A record

% dig project3.trushargavit.com
project3.trushargavit.com. 1200	IN	A	198.54.116.27

Seems the issue is possibly related to the fact you are using Namecheap Hosting for DNS. You may need to contact Namecheap to determine the appropriate setup.

added a A record with project3.trushargavit.com. 1200 IN A 198.54.116.27

Hi @Trushar10,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Netlify’s Support Forums!

I do see you have Netlify DNS setup here, however, your name servers are set to namechaphosting.com instead of Netlify’s.

If you’re not planning on using Netlify’s name servers, you’ll want to remove the Netlify DNS zone here.

You would instead configure the subdomain project3.trushargavit.com with a CNAME Record that points to lumen9.netlify.app. The docs @jasiqli mentioned here should get you sorted. If you still have the CNAME Record created as shown in your screenshot, then it should be setup, however it hasn’t propagated.

Since the DNS Zone is not currently configured, you have an inactive DNS Zone which can cause issues with provisioning the SSL Certificate. You can read more about inactive DNS zones in this Support Guide which describes that issues that an inactive DNS Zone can cause and how to fix it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

@jasiqli @Melvin added the CNAME to DNS Records By removing A and TXT records to the subdomain. In site settings, the status is showing Netlify DNS. But the subdomain does not show the deployed site.

Does it take time to fully configure?

If this is the case, you may not have removed the domain from Netlify DNS correctly as @Melvin indicated is required.

However, I see this site using project3.trushargavit.com

1 Like

Propagation can take upwards to 48 hours to fully configure.