Netlify Identiy - Unable to send reset password email from the Netlify Identity console

Site Id: 6aa56f07-2f39-4aa0-a654-7f9471125d5e

When in my Netlify Identity management console, If I click on a user and then select “Send reset password email” button nothing happens. I receive no error message on the client and no email is sent. If I inspect the network tab, the request is returning the error:

{
    "error": "{\"code\":500,\"msg\":\"Error recovering user\",\"error_id\":\"01HNAF7R01VGKNTWJCFWDK5PCA\"}"
}

This also affects the ability of my users to recover their emails on my own production site.

Hi @alext162 :wave:t6: welcome back to the community! In our documentation, you can trigger a password reset email from an individual Identity user page. The .ConfirmationURL variable in that email will include your site address with a recovery_token appended. The Netlify Identity widget should handle this link automatically.

I’m also curious to know what service you’re using for sending emails? Certain service providers have different ways you need to integrate for your users to access emails.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You mention:

“In our documentation, you can trigger a password reset email from an individual Identity user page.”

I cannot do this. The button does not work in my Netlify dashboard. This is not on my website, or on a widget, this is me attempting to reset a password via the Netlify Dashboard at Netlify App.

I use Sendrgrid, but these emails are default handled by yourself. They are sent from the no-reply Netlify email.

Thanks.

As far as we can see, the logs say:

Error sending recovery email: 535 Authentication Credentials Invalid

I’ll ask internally why this would be invalid.

Thank you. I am surprised the error is Invalid Error Credentials as I’m the request through the Netlify Dashboard.

Is this happening to multiple users or just one? While the team was investigating this, they wondered if you could potentially try removing the user and then trying to add them again, in case that helps?

Hi,

It is the same for all users. Please can you give an update on this? I haven’t heard anything.

Thanks,
Alex.

We have already replied to you with the next steps:

While the team was investigating this, they wondered if you could potentially try removing the user and then trying to add them again, in case that helps?

We still haven’t heard back from you on this.

Hi,

I cannot remove all my users. This issue affects all users, including new ones. Removing a user has no effect.

Thanks,
Alex.

hi @alext162

We’ve escalated this but unfortunately it might take a while to be looked at. Are you able to set a new Identity instance on a separate site and re-do all the configs to see if this issue is solved that way?

There could be something specific to that site, preventing the Identity instance from working correctly.

Thanks

Hi,

Do you have any more information regarding this? I replicated Identify on a sister project and its works fine. Again, this seems like an issue internal to Identify, as the 500 error is being returned when hitting the send reset password email button directly in the Netlify Identify console. For example here:

Site ID - b8c7a11e-5b16-425c-93ef-0ea9ecbe6498

We’re considering deprecating the Identity feature in coming months, so I don’t expect anything to change in this area.