Visual Editor Cannot be setup

When clicking the new Enable Visual Editor button from any site, when i press “Install Netlify Visual Editor app” A new window opens, and instantly closes. Nothing changes, I cannot progress further. Im not sure how i can show this as the upload limit here is so small

1 Like

Video recording:

1 Like

hi @tess

This is weird indeed! Can you please try to set up a new site on the netlify App and try the flow again?

I just tested this on a site of my own and works fine.

thanks!

Tried on 3 sites now, cannot get past this.

1 Like

Hi @tess

Could you confirm that the Netlify Github app is installed on your repo and has the correct permissions by checking your Installed GitHub Apps?

If it is installed and has correct permissions, could you let us know if you’ve granted access to select repos or all?

I’m having an identical problem. No errors or messages, window just closes. No feedback of any kind.

@srm.netlify.cms could you refer to Audrey’s questions above and let us know what you’re seeing on your end?

Could you confirm that the Netlify Github app is installed on your repo and has the correct permissions by checking your Installed GitHub Apps?
If it is installed and has correct permissions, could you let us know if you’ve granted access to select repos or all?

FYI: I noticed a 404 being triggered in Chrome’s error console:
https://app.netlify.com/access-control/create-api/project/analyze-repo

Could you describe the steps you took that brought you to that 404? Could you also give us more details regarding the questions listed above? This will help us troubleshoot further.

I ran into the same problem and the cause seems to be that I was using a different Github account to authenticate the visual editor than the one used to access the repo for deployments.

The editor works fine for me if I use the same account for both.

The reason I was using different accounts is because connecting a Netilify site to a Github repo will only grant Netlify access to that one specific repo. The Github app for the Visual Editor requires full access to all your repos (which I believe is a limitation of Github), so I was using a separate Github account that only has access to this one repo for security reasons.

I would say this is still a bug on Netlify’s end though, since at the very least the error should be handled with a reasonable message, but ideally it would allow the use of separate accounts for the reasons I mentioned.

In case it is helpful, I was also seeing in dev-tools the analyze-repo 404 network requests @srm.netlify.cms mentioned. These happened after clicking the “Install Netlify Visual Editor App” button and the auth window closed, and they contain the following response body:

{"name":"GithubAccessTokenNotFound"}
1 Like

I click “Install the Github app”, go to Github, I’ve now chosen “all repos” not just the one I wanted to allow access to. Github says I’ve successfully updated the settings.

I double check:

Permissions

• Read access to metadata
  • Read and write access to administration, code, commit statuses, pull requests, and repository hooks

I close that window. The “SAVE” button is still disabled. The 404 error is:

Request URL: https://app.netlify.com/access-control/create-api/project/analyze-repo
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 400 Bad Request
Remote Address: 3.9.51.5:443
Referrer Policy: strict-origin-when-cross-origin

Cache-Control: max-age=0,private,must-revalidate
Cache-Status: “Netlify Edge”; fwd=miss
Content-Length: 0
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 09:29:40 GMT
Netlify-Vary: query
Server: Netlify
Server-Timing: cr;desc=“miss”, ds;dur=207, pt;desc=“lambda”, ft;desc=“request”, dc;desc=“aws-lhr”, cg;desc=“global-production”, cl;dur=0, dist;dur=129, tls;desc=“reused”
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload
X-Debug: text/html request openings not allowed
X-Nf-Request-Id: 01J17BNG2RACDDXMC55HWT24GV

tried this again, with different results:
Request URL:

https://app.netlify.com/access-control/create-api/project/analyze-repo

Request Method: POST
Status Code: 404 Not Found (from service worker)
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade

And a 2nd error much the same, though not referencing service workers, and with a whole load of cookies.

Did you see my comment? Are you also trying to connect a different Github account to the visual editor than the account you use to connect your repo to Netlify?

I did, thanks. Same account. Same email address. Already trial-and-errored through that process.

@travistravis Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and for helping us improve! I’ve passed along your comments to the relevant team, and they’re revisiting the edge cases that might be causing the issue you encountered. We appreciate your patience!

1 Like

@srm.netlify.cms you stated you’re seeing this on multiple sites, could you provide the name of a site where you’re seeing this that I could look into further?

you stated you’re seeing this on multiple sites

Not me! :slight_smile:

@srm.netlify.cms apologies, can you clarify what site you’re seeing it on?

simonrussellmusic.netlify.app - the only one I have listed / configured.

@srm.netlify.cms thanks! I’m routing your request to our helpdesk and I’ll follow up there

1 Like