Vague "Something Went Wrong" With Collaborative Deploy Preview Drawer

Was looking to test out the Collaborative Build Previews but when I enabled them I just get a very vague “Something went wrong” notification in the drawer.

I’m not seeing anything glaringly obvious with errors in the console or failed fetch calls to “api.netlify” like I’ve seen some other posts comment on.

Hi @sjstark,

The link you shared appears to be working fine. Are you still having issues?

I am still just getting a vague “something went wrong” when the drawer loads up.

Weird, because I’m getting this:

Do you see anything in your console?

Very odd, I just checked on safari and it’ll load up there. I’m getting the error on Chrome, here’s the console logs I’m seeing (some of which I know are from our site)

I just checked, and this error only occurs once I’m logged in with a Netlify account associated with the site. If I’m logged out I see the same view you posted. If I log in with an account that’s not associated with the site then I get the prompt to request access.


could you try again with an incognito window and see if the problem persists? i think its a good idea to rule out any extensions causing this problem.

I tried logging in with igcognito and the problem persisted. As mentioned, it only seems to be happening once I log in to the account associated with the site, so this may be fairly hard to troubleshoot without giving away credentials…

Hey there, @sjstark :wave:

Thanks for following up and letting us know. If you create a replication site, does the error persist? Or is this unique to one project of yours? This will help us understand the nature of the error further.

Hi @hrishikesh and @hillary, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I’m having the exact same problem as @sjstark, I’ve tried logging into Netlify’s preview drawer with the account associated with the site ( and I get also a “Something went wrong” message in the bar at the bottom.

I have this error in my Network tab in DevTools, not sure it has anything to do with the error but it’s very likely as I get a 401 if I’m not logged with the right account (as expected) and got 404 with the right account (doesn’t seem right):

A few notes:

  • I had never used the preview drawer, so I can’t say if this something new or not.
  • I tried using a different website and account and got the same error.
  • Both accounts are free (not sure it makes a difference).
  • Tested on both Chrome and Firefox, doesn’t work in either.

Hi @fvieira ,

We tested your site and was able to see the collaborative deploy preview drawer. Could you try testing using incognito window and disable browser extensions to see if that helps?

Hi @audrey, but were you logged into the Netlify account for this website? I just tested as a Guest Chrome profile (to ensure I have no extensions) and as you can see, I still get the error:

hi @fvieira

This should work even if you’re logged out indeed. I tried this using a Guest Session and was able to see the bottom drawer working.

Can you please share an x-nf-request-id from that guest session that isn’t working, please?


Hi @gualter, sorry, I think I misled you, when I’m logged out it does work, it’s when I login with my account (the account that hosts the website) that I get the error, I’ll use screenshots below so you understand.

And here’s the x-nf-request-id for the request that returns 404 when I’m logged in: 01GW7QWVCVYG13Z37PQ2TMNTXJ

Screenshot logged out:

Screenshot logged in:

Hi @fvieira :wave:t6: , thanks for reaching out. We have escalated this issue to our engineers.

hi @fvieira

Sorry for the late reply here. Our engineers are suggesting the you remake the repo linking step since this may be related to config that got lost somehow.

Can you try to do it?

To re-link the repository:

Go to Site Settings > Build & deploy > Manage repository.
Hit Manage repository > Link to a different repository
Connect to Gitlab and select the same repository.


1 Like

Perfect, it was totally worth the wait!
That was it, we changed the company name and the name of the group on Gitlab too, and while Gitlab leaves a redirect in place so that most things still worked with the old name (e.g. Netlify was still updating the project correctly whenever we pushed), apparently the Deploy Preview Drawer couldn’t handle this redirect (maybe this is worth improving). Re-linking the repo solved it, it now shows correctly!

Thank you very much!

1 Like

@sjstark This comes probably a bit late for you, but I just thought I’d mention you since you had the exact same problem (and hopefully the same cause) and might still benefit from the solution above.

Go to Site settings > Build & deploy > Deploy notifications, select Azure DevOps commit status, and add your PAT . Once configured, you can open a Deploy Preview for a commit with a successful build.