Home
Support Forums

Slow initial load time on SSG with nextjs

Hi, I am getting some extremely slow response times for First page load and first contentfull paint from my nextjs website on netlify.

It takes 4.25s to load the html of 9.4kB …

the site is this one:

More numbers:

https://testmysite.io/617a67c5dd9fb069a9c836e0/iedereenstadsdichter-frontend.netlify.app

Hi @koraysels,

Since SSR relies on Netlify Functions, I’d say this is expected behaviour as Functions don’t run on CDN - they run in US by default, so the further away you’re from US, the longer it will take.

For pro and above customers, we can change the function region based on from where you’re expecting most traffic.

damn I meant SSG …
i have acronym dyslexia apparently. Statically generated… (I only use getStaticProps)

Right now updated to the netlify beta plugin plugin and it seems to speed up the load time significantly

1 Like

Aha, sorry probably I read it wrong. I see you were using SSG from start, but so many happen to use SSR with NextJS that it has become kind of default to read it like that now.

Great to know the plugin is working fine.

actually not completely fixed with the beta plugin. I still get suspiciously long load times on pretty small json files like almost 2 seconds for 5kB. which is just a static json file that should be loaded instantly through CDN right ?

Could you share the request IDs of the timings that you think are slow?