Non-zero exit code 1

PLEASE help us help you by writing a good post!

• we need to know your netlify site name. Example: gifted-antelope-58b104.netlify.app
  • DNS issues? Tell us the custom domain, tell us the error message! We can’t help if we don’t know your domain.
  • Build problems? Link or paste the FULL build log & build settings screenshot

The better the post - the faster the answer.

I am very new to Netlify, just joined today in fact. I am trying to run a website from Github on netlify(website golden-nasturtium-42aea1.netlify.app). Unfortunately, I keep getting the following error: Exit Failed during stage ‘building site’: Build script returned non-zero exit code: 1 (Search results for '"non-zero exit code: 1"' - Netlify Support Forums).

“Non-zero exit code” is just the last message that is provided when the build exits due to what is considered a failure. If the build had returned a zero exit code it would have been considered success.

So it’s not a message that can be debugged.
It doesn’t provide any hints as to WHY the exit code was 1 (e.g. Something other than 0).

As it mentioned in the initial post guide:

• Build problems? Link or paste the FULL build log & build settings screenshot

If you can provide the full build log someone can probably advise why it is failing.

Hi Nathan, thank you for your help. The error log can be found at the GitHub Gist above.

The repository containing the website files can be found at https://github.com/hi-bye125/website/tree/main/public_html

@omjoshi687 Looking at your error log here Error Log Netlify · GitHub, it appears that it is failing to make libsass.

I remember someone else encountering this recently:

Unfortunately I can’t provide any guidance off the top of my head as I haven’t used Sass myself in about 8 years.

Maybe someone else can pop in and assist.

In the interim Netlify’s copy & paste generic response to the other thread was: