How can I find the IP addresses of my name servers

I wanted my registrar to point the name servers listed on my Netlify DNS zone setting page, but my registrar also want to know the IP addresses.

I already asked them how can I move without the IP Addresses, but they said that I can’t.
Netlify’s support, on other hand, said that they can’t provide me the IP addresses. :grimacing:

I’ve thought I could move to an another registrar, but I bought my domain less than 60 days ago so that’s not an option for now.

Any idea from the community?

Well, you could do a DNS lookup for the domain name of the name server itself like so (this is the dig command on macOS below - and dig can be installed on most OSes):

$ dig dns1.p06.nsone.net  +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> dns1.p06.nsone.net +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
dns1.p06.nsone.net.	20850	IN	A	198.51.44.6

The IP address in the record above is 198.51.44.6 for dns1.p06.nsone.net.

If you don’t have dig (or nslookup) available to use, Google provides a free online web version of the dig command line interface tool here:

(There are plenty of other free DNS lookup tools as well, I just like dig.) :slight_smile:

Please keep in mind that these IP addresses are subject to change and that they will also potentially vary by location (due to something NS1 calls geographic routing). Also note: I don’t actually know if NS1 uses geographic routing on their own name servers or not, but they certainly could.

Also, regarding the IP address changing, note in the record above that it expires is less than six hour. The 20850 is the time to live (TTL) for the record in seconds.

But your domain name registrar is probably already aware of these limitation and so it could also turn out that none of this an issue because they take this into account (plan for it) in some way.

If there are other question, we’ll be happy to answer.

1 Like