Domain name pointing to 2 IP addresses

Hello,
I have been trying to access Netlify DNS through my domain, unfortunately, I am getting an error message stating a DNS exists on NS1. I contacted my domain registrar also updated my nameserver with "dns1.p05.nsone.net " up to 4, my domain registrar said my domain is pointing to IP addresses on Netlify. How do I fix this?

Hi @Olawale_Yusuf

Can you provide the domain in question?

As Netlify uses a CDN, there are multiple IP address used so that traffic is routed to the closest node to the request origin.

Okay, www.olawaleyusuf.com

That domain is configured to use Vercel DNS, not Netlify:

% dig olawaleyusuf.com NS +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> olawaleyusuf.com NS +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
olawaleyusuf.com.	86400	IN	NS	ns1.vercel-dns.com.
olawaleyusuf.com.	86400	IN	NS	ns2.vercel-dns.com.

However it also seems you have configured Netlify DNS (note the last line)

% dig olawaleyusuf.com NS +trace | tail -n 6
;; Received 683 bytes from 192.52.178.30#53(k.gtld-servers.net) in 170 ms

olawaleyusuf.com.	86400	IN	NS	ns1.vercel-dns.com.
olawaleyusuf.com.	86400	IN	NS	ns2.vercel-dns.com.
;; Received 92 bytes from 198.51.45.5#53(dns2.p05.nsone.net) in 26 ms

Edit
I can see using DNS Checker (see here) that some regions are showing Netlify DNS, others Vercel.
If you have recently started the process of switching from Vercel to Netlify, do note that propagation can take up to 48 hours.

See this thread for more resources specifc to domains

Hi, @Olawale_Yusuf. There is a conflicting DNS zone for this domain at NS1. We have a support guide about this here:

Netlify DNS is also hosted on NS1 but only a single zone can exist. Since someone else using NS1 already controls the zone - Netlify cannot make a new one until that one is deleted. There are two possible solutions.

One general solution is to delete the existing DNS zone. There are several ways to do that. If you know the source of the existing zone, you can simply delete it. If you don’t know the source, you can contact NS1 directly to have them delete it for you. Again, those are two different workflows for the same solution. Both workflows have the same result: deleting the existing zone.

The other solution is to keep using the other DNS service hosted on NS1 and to use the external DNS instructions instead: Configure external DNS for a custom domain | Netlify Docs.

Using Netlify DNS is optional. This second option is to simply keep the third-party DNS service and use the third-party DNS instructions above.

If there are questions about either solution, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi, Luke. I tried contacting NS1 through their website but my debit card is getting bounced during the registration process and without that, I can’t contact NS1. This is the only option left.

Hi, @Olawale_Yusuf. There is still the external DNS method:

Have you tried that?

Hi, Luke. I was able to solve the DNS issue. I created a subdomain blog.olawaleyusuf.com on olawaleyusuf.com but unfortunately, I’m getting an error in the browser. Please check the image below for the error.

Thank You,

Hey @Olawale_Yusuf

That is not a Netlify error message. blog.olawaleyusuf.com is pointing to Hashnode so I suggest the issue is with the Hashnode configuration.

1 Like