Domain is already registered

Hi Netlify Support,

I have a domain “harishmathanan.com” with Namecheap that was previously used on a site within Netlify. The site was deleted a while back.

I am now trying to add the domain to my new site and am getting the below message.

" harishmathanan.com is already registered. If you registered this domain name through a different registrar, select Add domain to begin delegating it to Netlify."

My new site is: https://harishmathanan.netlify.app/

What is the process is getting this rectified?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

1 Like

Thanks Perry,

Yup the domain was used on another site that I has. Unfortunately, I deleted that particular site a while back. It was under my same Netlify account.

I followed through with the domain verification steps.

Thanks again

hey there :wave: let’s take a step back. have you actually purchased that domain?

the reason i ask is a whois (domain name query) lookup seems to indicate that domain has not been registered to anyone, including you:

# whois.verisign-grs.com

No match for domain "NARISHMATHANAN.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: 2022-03-18T19:19:41Z <<<

so, before you an attach your domain to a netlify site, you will need to purchase it, either through netlify, or through a domain name registrar of your choice.

let us know if you have any further questions.

Hi Perry,

Thanks for helping with this. The domain mentioned isn’t my domain. I think the quotes within my initial post make it harder to see.

My domain is as below:
harishmathanan.com

Please do let me know if there’s anything else required from my end.

Thank you

Hey @TheDisciple,

That’s not an error saying that the domain already exists on a different account, but rather you just need to go ahead and click on ‘Add domain’.

The text simply says that the domain has some owner and that it’s not available for purchase. So you can go ahead and add the domain without issue.

2 Likes

Hi @hrishikesh

Thank you very much! I was able to add my domain in successfully. Have updated the A and CNAME records on my end. Will check it again in 24 hours.

Much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @hrishikesh,

Can confirmed that the domain is working now, thank you both for your help with this.

Wishing you a wonderful day.

Thank you,

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting us know. Happy building :rocket:

1 Like