Docs: Missleading line on how to disable a Plugin

I have a suggestion to improve the docs:

On Gatsby on Netlify | Netlify Docs there is this sentence:

If you don’t need those, you can remove the plugin from your site.

However, the linked Page Build Plugins | Netlify Docs does not actually explain how to disable the Essential Gatsby Build Plugin.

• Step 1 " Integrations > Enabled" does not work, because there is no link “Enabled” on the page Netlify App
  • Also, there are no Plugins with the search Term Gatsby, so I cannot disable anything…

I suggest to update Gatsby on Netlify | Netlify Docs or the linked page to explain how to actually disable this “Essential Gatsby Build Plugin”.

Thanks!

Thanks for reaching out about this @tordans I’ve raised this with our docs team to take another look!

1 Like

You need to remove it from Site Settings > Build settings > Runtime

1 Like

Thank you @hrishikesh , I found the setting and will test it.

Since this ticket is specifically a suggestion to update the docs I hope the docs team will find this update here as well.

Hi @tordans, I’m a member of the Docs team here at Netlify. Thank you for sharing this feedback. We’ve updated the docs to include these details in the “Remove a Plugin” section. Hopefully this will help others moving forward.

1 Like

@uma thanks for the update!

I just noticed another place where the help content guides me to the wrong conclusion.

This is from my build log which has 2 places that reference plugins and updating or installing them. AFAIK both of those described ways does not work (anymore).

10:36:19 AM: ❯ Installing plugins
10:36:19 AM:    - @netlify/plugin-gatsby@3.2.1
10:36:28 AM: ​
10:36:28 AM: ❯ Loading plugins
10:36:28 AM:    - @netlify/plugin-gatsby@3.2.1 from Netlify app
10:36:28 AM: ​
10:36:28 AM: ❯ Outdated plugins
10:36:28 AM:    - @netlify/plugin-gatsby@3.2.1: latest version is 3.6.2
10:36:28 AM:      Migration guide: https://ntl.fyi/gatsby-plugin-migration
10:36:28 AM:      To upgrade this plugin, please uninstall and re-install it from the Netlify plugins directory (https://app.netlify.com/plugins)
10:36:29 AM: ​
10:36:29 AM: @netlify/plugin-gatsby (onPreBuild event)                     
10:36:29 AM: ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

The correct solution to this issue seems to be to disable the plugin from the build settings (the place you just added to the docs), save the settings and then re-add “gatsby”. (I did not try it with just edit-remove-add-save, just with edit-remove-save-edit-add-save.) I think the console output could be a lot clearer on this.

10:36:29 AM: No Gatsby cache found. Building fresh.
10:36:29 AM: Please install `gatsby-plugin-netlify` and enable it in your gatsby-config.js. https://www.gatsbyjs.com/plugins/gatsby-plugin-netlify/
10:36:29 AM: (@netlify/plugin-gatsby onPreBuild completed in 7ms)
10:36:29 AM: Build command from Netlify app                       

Thank you for flagging. We’ll see how we can imrpove that. It’s unfortunately not as straightforward as a docs update.

1 Like