DNS records pointing to old Netlify site, not changed when same domain added to new site

I’ve recently assigned a domain (attackingpixels.com) to a new site, this domain was previously attached to a different netlify site which I have subsequently deleted. I have waited a few days for CDN TLLs and DNS propagation to settle however I’m getting an issue where on first load when visiting the domain part of the old site is being displayed. Then on a hard reload the new site is being displayed. This doesn’t seem to be a local caching issue as I have tested it on a number of machines.

When looking at the DNS records for my domain they still seem to be pointing to the old base netlify URL… hungry-lewin… as shown here:

The base URL for the new site is now peaceful-wright-cc1063. There doens’t seem to be a way to manually change the DNS records to match this new projects URL

What can I do to remedy this?

Adam

According to small print on this screen, “This is a system record that cannot be managed directly.” I’m guessing you’ll either have to have someone at Netlify make this change, or delete this instance and spin up a new one with the settings you want.

Hi, @gregraven, if you add the custom domain here, that should be all that is required:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/peaceful-wright-cc1063/settings/domain

Hi Luke,

I do have the custom domain set here, but the issue sill persists.

When I click the green bubble on the custom domain ‘Netlify DNS’ the DNS settings for the domain still seem to be pointed to the old instance?

Regards Adam

Hi, yup, that’s a known UI inconsistency. I’ve added you to the enhancement request that is tracking that. For now, I have updated the DNS records to show the correct subdomain, though the domain would have continued to work without issue even if I didn’t do so.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

@Dennis I have the exact same issue. Is this just a UI issue? My domain is deletemydata.io and new netlify site is nifty-edison-8fce5d.netlify.com

Hi, @praveen, and welcome to the Netlify community site. :smiley:

Yes, the DNS record pointing to the old site is a UI issue only. Which site gets displayed when a user visits that domain is determined by the site setting (not the DNS record). It is the setting under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains which determine what site we show.

The DNS settings page for the domain will show the previous netlify subdomain (old-site.netlify.com). However, that DNS record (types NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6) only control whether the domain name points to Netlify. It doesn’t control the site shown though.

If the DNS record (NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6) is wrong but the site setting (Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains) is correct, the correct site will be shown.

It is safe to ignore the NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 record target.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

I have an issue related to this (switching a url from one site to another) that makes me skeptical that this is just a UI issue…

After the switch, the custom url redirects to the new site properly (yay!), but when trying to access the old site, the default subdomain of the old site redirects to the custom url that now points to the new site. So when I try to go to the old site via its own subdomain url, it just takes me to the new site with the domain I switched over. I changed the site name of that old site even (to give it a new subdomian), and went to check the DNS records managed by netlify, and it had updated them to the new site name I just made for the old site.

Hope that’s not too confusing…rn I just want to be able to access the old site via it’s default subdomain.

Hi, @benjfriedrich, we’ll be happy to troubleshoot this. However, in order to troubleshoot, first we need more information. It would be helpful to know the URLs you are testing, what the expected or intended behavior is, and what the actual behavior is.

If you feel comfortable posting that information publicly, that will allow us to reply more quickly.

You can also private message (PM) that to one of our support staff instead if you prefer. I’ve confirmed that PMs are enabled for your community login. Note, that only one person can see the PM and this will likely mean a slower reply than posting the information publicly. Please feel free to reply to however you prefer though.

After letting it sit overnight, it appears to be working like expected now (other than the UI issue). Something must have just needed more time to propagate! Thanks