Dns propogation is not current

Netlify Site Name: https://elegant-easley-2a5ee4.netlify.app/

DNS ISSUES: The DNS Zone propagated here: pura-vida-services.com DNS information - who.is
is different than what is showing on netlify DNS for pura-vida-services.com

At first I thought the additional records were coming from the original Domain Name Provider, but there are no records there, nameservers are pointed correctly at netlify: “We can’t display your DNS information because your nameservers aren’t managed by us.”

The incorrect issues are problematic for the booking subdomain which needs to have the correct records in order to certify SSL.

Please help

Hi there! We’ve created this DNS Quickstart guide to help folks get their DNS set up correctly on Netlify. Can you read through this and confirm that you have everything configured correctly?

Additionally, we have this Support Guide too that outlines all of our DNS resources. Lastly, there are tons of DNS questions you can access through our search! If your problem still persists after reading through all relevant guides, please post again and we will troubleshoot with you.

Yes, I used this to transfer the DNS using option #2 and changing the name servers to point to netlify. Some of the records I set up in netlfify DNS are propagating and some are showing up that are not in the netlify DNS.

There are a couple A records not inside netlify DNS that are propagating incorrectly according to this:

Hello, the A and AAAA records for www.pura-vida-services.com and pura-vida-services.com seems to be pointing correctly to Netlify.

In Netlify DNS, those are reflected by the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 DNS record. Those points to Netlify’s CDN and the IP address will differ depending on which point of presence it is connecting to.

It should look something like this on your Netlify DNS panel. These records will be automatically translated to the A and AAAA records of the nearest Netlify’s CDN to the requester.

From your original posts, it seems that you have issues with SSL on the booking.pura-vida-services.com subdomain? It seems that the subdomain is not served with Netlify, so your hosting provider should be the one issuing the TLS certificate for the subdomain.

Hello, and thanks for your response. I’ve already contacted the hosts of the booking regarding this SSL issue and they pointed out these issues and said I needed to contact netlify: Screenshot, 2022-11-02 16:26:53 - Paste.Pics

Please also note, these records are in netlify DNS are not propagating:

Hmm, just checked it on my end and those records seems to be propagating directly. But it will not show up on who.is as they only check www and the root domain.

Try going to Dig (DNS lookup), enter booking.pura-vida-services.com and click on A. You will see the record showing there. (Same thing for CNAME record).

It seems to me that there might be some confusion with your other hosting provider. It could be that are assuming that you are trying to use your main domain (pura-vida-services.com and the www subdomain) for your booking engine. Hence, them claiming that the records are configured wrongly.

Do make sure that only the booking.pura-vida-services.com subdomain is listed on the other hosting provider.

According to the booking company:

The configuration we need is for the main domain. The configuration of the subdomain is not enough for our system to generate the certificate.

To have the Booking Engine using booking.pura-vida-services.com (which is the subdomain of pura-vida-services.com) then the main domain (pura-vida-services.com) needs:

1. To have only one A record pointing to 54.70.111.180 (if possible both on “@” as well as in “www”)
  2. a CNAME record with name “book” and value “proxy.holidayfuture.com

Without that in the main domain, the booking engine will not work correctly nor the certificate be generated by our system.

Will this disrupt anything with my current configuration?

While I have no idea how they configure their system, the concept of having to give control to your main domain and www subdomain just to issue a certificate for other subdomain is silly.

Imagine a large company like Google having to direct their main site away just for a hosting provider to issue them a certificate for a single subdomain.

Furthermore, I have created several Netlify sites on just a single subdomain with external DNS and Netlify can generate the certificate properly.

That being said, it is possible to follow their instructions, however it will cause downtime to your Netlify sites until the proper DNS records are configured back to Netlify’s. Furthermore, I have no idea how renewal of the certificates that your other hosting provider issue will be affected when site is back under Netlify, so please proceed at your own risk.

To do what they wanted you to do:

1. Remove the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 records for your main domain and www
  2. Create the A and CNAME record as requested

To restore back:

1. Delete the A and CNAME record from your main domain and www. Do note delete the one on booking.
  2. Remove the domain name from the site’s custom domain settings on Netlify (under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains)
  3. Re-add the domain name there.

Your Netlify site will remain inactive on pura-vida-services.com and www.pura-vida-services.com until the NETLIFY DNS records are back.

Does that mean I only need to follow their directions until the subdomain is certified, then I should restore it back?

You certainly can. But if you chose to follow their direction, please keep these in mind:

1. Your Netlify site (www.pura-vida-services.com and pura-vida-services.com) will be down until the DNS records are restored.

2. I have no idea how the renewal of the certificate for booking.pura-vida-services.com will looks like, and whether they need the www and main domain to be pointing at them for renewal.

Regardless, the decision is purely in your hand. So please proceed at your own risk.

Personally, I’m still questioning why they need the main and www subdomain to be pointing at them just to issue a certificate for one subdomain. But, judging from the reply you posted, it seems to be a decision they have made.

I’m also not familiar with your hosting provider and the service that they provide, so unfortunately, I can’t give any advice beyond what I have wrote.

hi @soldierforus

To extend on what @hartanto said. Since the other hosting provider is asking you to make those changes, there will be definitely down time.

But if you want to proceed you can choose to go with what @hartanto suggested:

To do what they wanted you to do:

1. Remove the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 records for your main domain and www
  2. Create the A and CNAME record as requested

To restore back:

1. Delete the A and CNAME record from your main domain and www. Do note delete the one on booking.
  2. Remove the domain name from the site’s custom domain settings on Netlify (under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains)
  3. Re-add the domain name there.

Or if you want to have complete control, you can delete your DNSZone (on your DNSZone page) and manage it from your registrar by changing the NS servers.

1 Like