Custom Subdomain showing "not found" even after CNAME setup and propagated

Hi there!

I am trying to link my Netlify app (circles-demo.netlify.app) to a custom subdomain I have with an outside DNS service. The cname is setup, pointing events.tedcircles.com to the Netlify URL. However, it’s been many days and I am still seeing a “Not found” page. It’s not the Netlify styled “not found” page but rather two words on a white screen saying “Not found”, showing me that it’s not even getting to Netlify. The site works fine on the Netlify-provided URL.

The root domain (tedcircles.com) is being used as a custom domain on another Netlify account/repo - is that a problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Additional information: the root domain is being used on another Netlify account. Is that an issue?

It mostly means that you don’t have the domain applied to your netlify site, here:

If we aren’t configured (showing in our UI) to host a domain name, no matter what DNS says, you’ll only see “Not Found”.

You WILL have a problem doing that if the root domain is hosted in another account. That account holder will have to provide us with permission to allow you to use the name on that site.

Ah amazing! Thank you for the quick response. How can I tell the root domain holder to contact you? Can they reply to this thread and you can verify it’s the correct account? Or is there an email we can send to?

We have sent you an email to the email address associated with your Netlify account, and we’ll communicate with you through that email to continue resolving this issue. (Please note that for security reasons, we will not contact you at email addresses not listed in your Netlify account.)

Also, please let us know with a reply here if you don’t receive a message from us!