Website is sometimes coming up as unsafe

Hi all,
I seem to be having an issue where my site sometimes gets blocked by browsers because the certificate for netlify doesn’t match my URL. The error says something akin to that, anyway. This issue was reported to me by colleagues but unfortunately I can’t seem to replicate it consistently. I’ve only been able to get it once and, annoyingly, I neglected to take a screenshot.
The custom URL (joshuaquinlan.ca) is listed on my Domain Management page as having “:white_check_mark: Netlify DNS”. The longer URL (www.joshuaquinlan.ca) is also listed there as having the same. The Netlify URL is joshuaquinlan.netlify.app, in case that is relevant.
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to solve this or suggestions as to what might be causing it?
Thank you!
Joshua

Hi @joshuaq :wave:t6:

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for reaching out. Did you setup an SSL certificate already for this domain?

1 Like

Hi Sam! Thanks for getting back to me! I believe I did—I think the Let’s Encrypt automatic certificate worked.

I’m not sure if there’s some deeper error with it though. And it’s difficult because I am still having trouble replicating the error. :upside_down_face:

Can confirm that this is returning unsafe. Can you try deleting and re-provisioning the SSL certificate?

2 Likes

Ah, thank you for confirming that error! I appreciate it. I clicked Renew Certificate—is that the correct thing to do? Or is there a step I need to take first in order to delete it?
Thanks again!

Hi @joshuaq

@kylesloper spotted the issue. Your cert was only covering the apex domain.

It’s ok to select the renew certificate button. You just don’t want to try selecting it a bunch of times in a row so that it looks like you’re trying something nefarious and protections kick in. :grinning:

I just took a quick look at the cert for your site and it looks ok now.

As you can see, you now have a wildcard that covers the www subdomain. I would expect the issues to stop. Let us know if that’s not the case!

1 Like

Ahh, I see! Amazing, thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the help.

Hi @joshuaq :wave:t6: , thanks for confirming the solution.

1 Like