Visiting my custom domain works great, but clicking a link redirects to my Netlify custom domain

Hey all,
I just finished setting up my website with Google Domains, Publii, and Netlify. I can visit all the pages of my site, but when doing so it shows my Netlify subdomain in the address bar. I want it to show my custom domain and not Netlify’s subdomain, but I can’t find anything that talks about that. Is that done through the _redirects file? If so, does that go in my Publii site’s “input” folder?

My Netlify instance name is ianboguetech.netlify.com
My custom domain is ianbogue.com

Hi @ianbogue! Welcome to netlify community.

I saw one issue with your current setup. Your SSL certificate was only covering your bare domain and not your www. I fixed that.

While I was at it, I noticed your DNS for your www could use a change:

$ host www.ianbogue.com
www.ianbogue.com is an alias for ianbogue.com.
ianbogue.com has address 104.198.14.52

You’ll want to change this DNS to take advantage of our CDN by following the instructions in this post: [Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

However, I don’t think either of these is causing the issue. Are you saying that when you visit ianbogue.com that it shows ianboguetech.netlify.com in the address bar?

1 Like

Thanks for fixing my SSL, @laura! That is exactly my problem, but I just figured it out. In Publii, there is a setting to use relative URLs. I enabled that and synced my site to Netlify and the links are no longer pointing to ianboguetech.netlify.com/*. It does mention that share buttons and “Open Graph tags” won’t work properly, but as I have no idea what the latter is, that doesn’t matter to me.

Thank you again for fixing the SSL error, that also confused me. I changed the DNS setting you mentioned, so that should update in a few minutes. I tried using host ianbogue.com, which returned Host www.ianbogue.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL). Did I mess something up?

EDIT: The host command successfully shows the information.

Hi, @ianbogue, it looks like the DNS records are correct when I test now. Are you still experiencing issues? If so, would you please tell us more about what isn’t working.

Hi @Luke. I am good to go! Everything is working the way I expect it to, so we are done here!