Verification error: "Another site is already using this domain"

I’m having the verification error: “Another site is already using this domain” error trying to set custom domain “shortcuts.directory” on site “shortcuts-directory”.

I’ve tried everything I can think of to fix the error. I’ve added the A record and I’ve updated nameservers on at Hover, my my domain registrar.

I also setup a TXT verification record that I saw in some other posts, to try and get it verified more quickly. Please let me know if there’s anything else I need to do.

Hiya @bksiefert! Do you know Jordan? They configured that name on a different site last year. If you’re working with them, you could ask them to remove it and then you can use it. Note that they will also need to remove the DNS zone from here to unblock you: Netlify App

If you aren’t working with Jordan, could you let us know the TXT record hostname you set? I didn’t find one when I looked, using the usual names (verified.shortcuts.directory or verified-for-netlify.shortcuts.directory).

You know, I don’t personally know Jordan, but I’m in a Slack with some folks who I think do. I’ll reach out and let you know if I don’t hear from him.

OK. Neither of us need to hear from him at all if you just tell me the TXT record hostname you already configured; I can see that his config is not currently in use, just can’t remove it without seeing that proof that you are in control.

verified-for-netlify. for shortcuts.directory to netlify

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hmm, you’d want the “host” to be:

verified-for-netlify.shortcuts.directory.

and the value to be “verified for netlify support thread #17147

Then I should be able to see it like this:

$ host -t txt verified-for-netlify.shortcuts.directory
Host verified-for-netlify.shortcuts.directory not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I just updated it. I think the table truncates the text. I copied the whole thing you pasted including the period at the end.

Hey, I wanted to bump this up again. I added the TXT record so you can do the verification. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks so much! Looks good to me and so I’ve removed the settings from Jordan’s account so you can use that hostname here.

Thank you for your help. It’s all setup.

1 Like