Update main domain to use Netlify but keep subdomain with current hosting provider

I have updated the nameservers for my main domain (rafaelheard.com) to use the DNS configurations provided by Netlify. However, this has broken a few of my subdomain (app.rafaelheard.com, sandbox.rafaelheard.com, etc.) How can I use my main domain with Netlify, but keep all my subdomains using their current hosting provider?

Hi @rafh! Welcome to netlify community.

If I were you, I would keep my DNS at my hosting provider and use these instructions for your Netlify domains: [Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I found a different solution earlier today. I created a subdomain within the Netlify DNS records. The A record’s name was set to prefixed name of each subdomain. So in my case it was set to app. Lastly I set the value to the IP address provided by the A host of my other provider. This works, but @laura are there any pitfalls of handling it this way?

Nope, that should be equivalent as far as the subdomain is concerned. However, you should make certain you transferred ALL records from the old provider - we don’t automatically do any setup for you based on existing records, including MX!

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m looking for! Could you tell me where I find these settings?

Hi there, @Koooos :wave:

I believe our DNS quick start guide and our Docs will answer your questions and get you on the right path. Both cover configuring your CNAME and A record. Take a look and see if these help: