Setting Google Domains domain to use Netlify DNS

I bought a Google Domain (jonathandannel.com) and followed the documentation for adding a domain to Netlify. In the Google dashboard, I set the 4 custom nameservers provided to me and disabled DNSSEC.

It’s been about 12 hours. When I take a look at the details for my domain (on Netlify), I see 0 records. I was under the impression that ‘NETLIFY’ records would be auto generated (or that they are, and simply don’t show up in that section). Do I need to add any kind of custom A/CNAME records on either the Google or Netlify side to get stuff working? Both dig and curl are coming up empty.

I’m a DNS newb so any help is appreciated!

@jonathandannel Welcome to the Netlify community.

Your DNS seems to be pointed to Netlify. However, whois doesn’t return name servers for your custom domain, and a host check for your custom domain does not show Netlify.

Are you certain you have told Netlify about your custom domain in the Domains section? Have you linked your Netlify subdomain to your custom domain?

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. I don’t have a subdomain to connect yet. I was hoping to just set things up and deploy later. Is it necessary to have something to serve for resolution to take effect?

@jonathandannel You have completely lost me. Your original post says you followed the documentation for adding a domain to Netlify. Now you say you don’t have a subdomain to connect yet. This is extremely confusing. Are you saying that you set up a domain on Netlify without have a site on Netlify to which to point it? If so, this is why you have pointers that are registered as pointing nowhere.

Please elaborate on what you are trying to do and what you have accomplished already. Perhaps start at the beginning.

1 Like

@gregraven I wasn’t aware that I needed to have a subdomain linked for the domain to be pingable. I’ll put something up quickly to test and report back :slight_smile:

That seems to be a logical next step.

@gregraven Thanks for the help. Deployed and it’s working perfectly once adding the custom domain to the netlify site.