Unable to create a build hook

i am using netlify free account and would like to deploy ghost cms using build hooks.

ghost cms has an integration with netlify but i couldn’t find how to create a build hook even when reading the official netlify documentation.

is netlify build hooks available only to paid users? if not, how can i create a build hook?

The build hooks only appear when the build is configured to connect to a repository.

When connected to a repository you will see it at the location stated in the docs:

Site settings > Build & deploy > Continuous deployment > Build hooks.

The section isn’t visible if you have done a “Drag & drop” deployment.

Is your site connected to build from a repository?

thank you @nathanmartin

The build hooks only appear when the build is configured to connect to a repository.

didn’t see this requirement in the netlify documentation (or did i miss it??!).

Is your site connected to build from a repository?

no, my site is not connected to a repository.
i would like to publish my site not upon a push the the repository, but only when i push a new content (not a draft post, etc.). this is why i also included the link to ghost documentation.

something does not make sense to me, could you try to clarify it for me?

It may not be in the documentation, which you could raise with Netlify.

I determined it earlier by doing a quick test, creating one site instance with drag & drop and another connected to a git repo.

The only obvious “Note” that I see doesn’t mention linking to a git repo as a requirement, but it does lead to git related documentation:

Builds must be active for build hooks to trigger builds of your site.

If your site was in a repo and linked, then you would be able to either trigger builds via the build hook (e.g. when a content author uses the cms), or when you push changes to the code.

Usually this is precisely what you would want, the developer keeping the code up-to-date as needed and the content author rebuilding when they change content.

In regards to draft content etc, it’s up to you and your specific project circumstances which content you include in your build.