[Support Guide] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

Hi, I’m also running into some DNS issues. I have a domain registered at Gsuite and I’d like to keep it there so I can host email (so I haven’t switch nameservers to Netlify). I’ve set up an A record and a CNAME to point at the site on Netlify, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Am I missing a step? Should I be pointing to katsumi.netlify.com instead in the CNAME? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, @trose. The DNS records in the screenshot do appear correct. However, they don’t return when I make the queries:

$ dig katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
$ dig www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.katsumiglobal.com +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd

There is no response for either query. The same can be seen currently at the two URLs below which also perform the same queries:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/katsumiglobal.com
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#CNAME/www.katsumiglobal.com

I don’t know why the DNS records are not working but that is why the custom domain doesn’t point to the Netlify site: the required DNS records are missing.

​Please let us know if there are other questions.

I got it working after realizing that the nameservers on GSuite were set to Microsoft 365. I added the A and CNAME at Microsoft and we’re up and running!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: DNS questions for custom domain

hello Netlify team,

I tried the steps mentioned in this post but I’m still having issues.

The domain should be: termicasoluciones.com but is not working, I can’t change the DNS in the doming register due to the email linked to them.

Here’s a screenshot of the current DNS records:

Can you help? Thanks!

@jesusrmz What’s not working about it? The Netlify-subdomain version and the custom-domain version look similar.

Yes, it’s working now. Apparently, I needed to wait a little bit longer. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello!

For any Forums members who encounter this thread, as of March 25, 2021 we have changed our load balancer to 75.2.60.5 . Should you be following this post for guidance, please use this moving forward. We want to make sure you have the most up to date information! Please see our Docs, this Support Guide, and our Status Page from March 25th for details.

Best,
Hillary