Home
Support Forums

Stopping builds does not impact build queue & makes cancelling builds impossible

Hi everyone,

So I did a great thing today where I used Netlify CLI to create a bunch of sites from folders in my monorepo (they are all similar in nature).

I don’t want Netlify to build these sites, for it really is only needed when there’s a new release. Instead, I want to build them locally when needed, and publish them via the CLI.

Since I can’t use a netlify.toml file to tell netlify not to build them, I need to create them first, then go to the netlify UI to stop building the sites.

After I did that, I noticed there’s a ton of builds in my build queue. Turns out that there’s a dependabot pull request, and now Netlify has queued a build, seemingly before I was able to disable builds.

To make matters worse, now that builds are disabled, I don’t even have the ‘Cancel build’ button.

I realize this is a bit of an edge-case, but it seems that I should have some way to cancel this builds, or (even better) a queued build should check whether the site still wants to be built by the time a build slot becomes available.

Thanks for the report! I’ll get a feature request filed for putting the cancel build button back in place.

I wonder how you are creating the sites, as well as why you are linking a repo, if you don’t intend us to build from git? I think we can probably come up with a better workflow for you that won’t trigger a build - such as maybe not linking a repo if you won’t build from it :slight_smile:

Hi Chris, I created the sites via the UI, and if memory serves me right, selecting a repo is non-optional there, although I might have just overlooked it. Or perhaps I could do it via the CLI.

Anyway, about my use-case: I have a monorepo from which I build a bunch of NPM packages (https://github.com/freesewing/freesewing).
Some of these come with an ‘example’ folder that is sort of a mini development environment (using create-react-app).
I wanted to publish these online for it’s an easy way for us to reproduce problems. Eg: https://aaron.freesewing.dev/

Since this is a monorepo with a bunch of interlocking dependencies, and there’s a bunch of them, this is non-trivial to configure, and would also be very expensive in build minutes.
So I plan to update our workflow that when we publish NPM packages, we also publish a new build via Netlify CLI.

That’s why we never build these from a repo.
I hope I’m explaining myself at least somewhat coherent :slight_smile:

joost

Hi Chris, I created the sites via the UI, and if memory serves me right, selecting a repo is non-optional there, although I might have just overlooked it. Or perhaps I could do it via the CLI.

Indeed, if you choose “new site from git” in the UI, you must link a repo. But you can create sites in several other ways:

• via CLI
  • via API
  • or you can start with a drag-and-drop upload, which does not require a repo to be linked (you can later connect the CLI or API to that site, or even add a repo to it)

Let me know if you can’t come up with a suitable workflow using one of those methods and what the blocker is, and I’ll see if I can come up with some better advice!

We’re good. I should have done them via the CLI to begin with, but I wasn’t smart enough back then :slight_smile: