Signing up for netlify with google

How do we sign up with a google account? At the sign up page I am only offered GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket. If we’ve already signed up can we switch from email/password to solely one of these accounts?

Hi @JamieKay! Welcome to our community!

Are you able to select the email option on the signup page:

?

Yes. If I sign up with a gmail account will that automatically integrate google sign in?

@JamieKay, we don’t offer a Google (or Facebook) based sign-on to Netlify at this time.

We support Bitbucket, GitLab, and GitHub sign-ons because of how Netlify works in tandem with these Git service providers (specifically how this enables a continuous deployment workflow).

While you can log on using one of those services, this doesn’t disable the email based log in. Is that a requirement for you - disabling email/password based logins for your user/team and using the Git service provider login only?

In the thread that my question was split from Frances says that one workaround for the lack of 2FA is to sign up with your google account, is this incorrect?

I goofed! I’m so used to signing in for everything at work with my Google account that I forgot that’s not actually a provider on Netlify itself.

We’ve got it on a wishlist for the future, though (some folks also would like twitter).

Thanks for owning up :slight_smile:

You also said that signing up with a github account would afford the same level of protection, but Luke says above that you can’t disable email based login, who is correct there?

It might be worth mentioning these issues on the thread that Perry split my post from.

Luke isn’t wrong. In my other thread I had meant if you had signed up with that provider.

1 Like

Ok, I see, you have to sign up with a GitHub login in the first place, you can’t disable username/password logins once you’ve signed up. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

@luke The problem with Github login is… that I have one Github login only.

If I am a member of multiple organisations, I will likely have multiple Google logins (with different GSuite accounts) for each organisation. That would allow me to differentiate which organisation I login to in Netlify, by choosing the relevant Google account.

I cannot do that with Github, so I have no choice but to use email login for any other organisation that I want to use Netlify with.

Also, it will prevent me from forcing our team members/staff to use Google login, which is something we enforce for all our other apps.

I think it’s a pretty big miss not to have it in Netlify.

1 Like

Hi, @adamreisnz. I agree that it would seem like that we should at least have a feature request filed for this already but I can’t find one at this time.

We’re researching the answer to this further. At the very least, we’ll confirm that we have a feature request filed for this soon. If we find anything else relevant, we will share those details as well.

Hi, @adamreisnz. We have that feature request filed now and it is cross-linked with this topic for tracking.

If/when this becomes possible, we will post an update here to let you know.

If other people would like to see this please :heart: this comment or add a +1 comment below. We’ll see the updates and adjust the counts on the feature request accordingly.

Great, thank you for that!

hey there, just a quick update that we have completed work on 2FA and now support it for all Netlify accounts - figured some folks in this thread might want to know.

More:

1 Like