Changing login method

Hey all. I personally like having all or most of my accounts a dedicated username/email and password login rather than using a third-party login like Google or GitHub. When I signed up for Netlify years ago, I had signed in with Google. Am I able to create a traditional login for my account or transfer all my sites and domains to a new account with a traditional login? Support was not much of a help.

Hi, @hparcells. Do you mean signed up with GitHub here?

When I signed up for Netlify years ago, I had signed in with Google.

Google has never been a login method.

If you signed up with GitHub, you can remove the link to the GitHub login on this page (when logged in):

https://app.netlify.com/user/settings#connected-accounts

On that page, click the “Edit settings” button under “Connected accounts”. Then you can remove the connected accounts by clicking the “x” icon pointed out in the screenshot below:

Note, that won’t stop you from deploying using those Git hosts. It just removes the SSO login method for those hosts.

If there are other questions or if that doesn’t work, please let us know.

Yes, I did mean GitHub, sorry about that. This was a solution that I tried, but in addition to this, is there a way to attach a password to my account? I had never created one because I had always used the GitHub SSO.

When unlinking my GitHub account and logging out, I was unable to log back in. Logging in with GitHub created a new Netlify account with no sites or domains. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was logged in on a different machine, where I relinked my GitHub account.

Hi, @hparcells. Yes, if you unlink your GitHub account, you can still add a password even if there has never been one configured before using the “forgot password” link below:

https://app.netlify.com/login/forgot-password

I know it says “forgot password” but it will also allow you to add a password if there isn’t one already configured.

If that doesn’t fix it, please let us know.