Netlify managed DNS issue (possible bug)

Hello folks,

I’m experiencing some serious issue with netlify managed dns; let me explain in details.

I’ve created all my previous DNS records in Netlify DNS including A/AAAA pointing to an old VPS I used before.

After assigning this custom domain to a netlify published site everything worked fine serving it through the auto created netlify A/AAAA records instead the ones entered manually. So far so good…

After I’ve seen that the netlify site is served through Netlify’s own IPs I decided to erase the now useless A/AAAA records pointed to my old vps.

Unfortunately, immediately after deleting the old A / AAAA records site is no longer accessible and dns viewers (dig, drill or show no netlify’s A/AAAA records present as before.

Is it some Netlify managed dns bug?
Should I delete and recreate the custom domains from scratch?

Hi, @athan, in order to troubleshoot we need to know which domain is experiencing this issue. Which domain name isn’t working?

You can also send us the site id for the Netlify site where the domain is linked if you don’t want to post the domain name itself.

Sharing the site id will not compromise your site’s security. The site id cannot be used without an API key which has permission for the account (so please don’t post your API key publicly anywhere).

Domain is

BTW I have now deleted both site and domain and recreated them from scratch without any A/AAAA records this time. It works as it should so please don’t bother with my case.

However I think you should double check the scenario described in my first post. I’ve tried it twice and is a repeatable and easily reproducible issue (bug).

Thanks for being willing to help me luke!

Hi Athan, I’m glad to see you resolved the issue! Migrating over and creating/deleting records should work just fine and we do have people doing this regularly. We’re glad you resolved the issue but without a clear reproduction case or example it’s hard to debug this further.

@luke @futuregerald
I think I’m experiencing the same issue.
My domain DNS has been managed with netlify this whole time. However I decided to port my previous site (externally hosted) to a static site hosted by netlify. Upon deleting the previous site’s A record, the DNS seems to be stuck in an error state. Deleting and re-adding the site just created a dead hanging entry.
And unlike Athan above, deleting the domain and re-adding is not an option as my MX records are also managed by netlify.
Response appreciated.

hi there @communityfrog, which custom domain is this regarding?

Fixed and working. Thank you.

Hi, @communityfrog, I want to thank you for commenting on this topic. More on this below.

(Note to others readers: The custom domain was shared here but deleted now. That information did help me find the issue.)

About the issue itself, I didn’t get the details about the specific custom domain originally and was never able to reproduce the reported bug. However, with the information you provided today, I was able to see the problem and I’ve gotten a bug filed for it.

To summarize, there was definitely an issue on our side. I corrected that issue manually and that is why the custom domain and SSL are working now for that site.

The bug is encountered with this workflow:

  1. Create an A or AAAA record for your custom domain (for example: 3600 IN A )
  2. Add that same custom domain to a site under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains. (This makes a NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 alias record which conflicts with the A/AAAA record.)
  3. Delete the A/AAAA record created in step 1.
  4. The NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 records appear to still exist but in reality they stop working. (Behind the scene both records are deleted when only one should be.)

Our support team can resolve these issues easily using tools available to us. If anyone else experiences this, please do make a new topic and link to this topic in the post.

The only known workaround for this is to delete the DNS zone, remove the custom domain from the site settings, recreate the DNS zone, and add the custom domain back to the site settings. Again, though, you don’t have to use this workaround. Our support team can correct this issue easily if you let us know what custom domain isn’t working as I did here today for this site.

I also wanted to mention, @communityfrog, that there is a way to private message at Discourse’s “trust level 1”. All new accounts on community (which is hosted on Discourse) start at level 0 and increase over time. I’ve bumped you up to level 1 and this enables the PMs so you will be able to do that here going forward. (You’ll naturally progress to level 5 over time as you create topics and/or posts. The trust levels are there to stop spammers from posting on Discourse.)

To summarize, there was an issue on our side. It is a bug. We can fix it if you let us know. Also, if/when the bug is fixed we will post an update to this topic to let you know about it.

Again, if this happens for someone else, make a new topic and link us to this topic. Our support team can get the issue corrected once you let us know about it.

Thanks, @luke. Glad to hear the issue was identified and is being systematically addressed.

1 Like