Netlify identity no longer working in local development, works in production

Site name: flingr.netlify.app / flingr.io

I recently added a custom domain to my website, since then netlify identity is no longer working in local dev. It IS working in production, however. I use netlify dev locally.

I thought it was because of SSL at first, but the lets encrypt cert has since generated. I also know that working in local dev with netlify identity I should be getting a popup asking for my production domain, but that popup isnt happening. I cleared cache and everything for all time in my browser, even tried safari since I never use that just to be 100% certain its not a cache thing. Still no netlify identity in local.

I know its not my code either, because I pulled down main and reset everything to match the origin/main branch that is actively deployed on my site now.

At this point, all I can think is its because I added a custom domain earlier today. Do I need to wait a bit for that? Its been about an hour, and like I said everything works on the custom domain in production. Its just local dev that isnt working.

Netlify Identity has never worked locally. Or I might be misunderstanding what you’re trying to say. Could you please explain your issue diffrently? What do you mean by “not working”?

Its def worked locally, I’ve been deving locally with it the last 3 nights. It just stopped working locally once I changed my domain in the netlify console.

Im not getting any response locally to the netlify identity api I think is the problem.

Production, you can see I have a login button and I get the login popup when I click it.

Splitting this into two responses since I can only embed 1 media per post…

Locally, I dont get any response and the login popup isnt working.

The code Im running locally is 1:1 with production, I’ve checked and double checked that there are no differences between prod and local.

I figured out the issue, I have the login button gated behind an authReady variable that wont let you login unless my AuthContext has initialized with netlify identity.

The popup for entering your netlify domain for local identity development only shows up when you call netlifyIdentity.open(), I was under the impression that it just showed up.

After temporarily removing the authReady check, and clicking the login button, I was prompted to put in my netlify domain and now everything is working as expected.