Netlify DNS says Name is already taken when registering a new domain that I know is not taken

Hello,

I am trying to buy a new domain for my site https://dashing-macaron-5b21c1.netlify.app/ and the domain is serviceprofessionals.click, which has not been registered yet, but Netlify keeps coming up with an error saying “Name is already taken, Name serviceprofessionals.click is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones”. This domain was previously registered with another registrar but it expired and isn’t being used anymore. Also I did use it as a custom domain on another netlify account but I went in to that account to remove the custom domain and yet this error still shows up. If anyone could help me or help me understand what’s going on I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey there, @jacob.m.blanton! Welcome to the Netlify Forums :slight_smile:

I know you said you went in to that account and removed the domain. Did you follow the following workflow?

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If that doesn’t work, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Thank you for welcoming me hillary! I found out the domain was still under Domains tab on the main team dashboard. I deleted the domain now I don’t see the message.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming! I am glad the message has disappeared. Are you able to add the domain to your site now?

Yes. It’s now working perfectly.

1 Like