Manual deploy update turn around time?

Hi team,

I deployed a site on Netlify using a custom domain.
Everything is working well but after making some major changes to the code I wanted to re-deploy.

I just discovered how to do this properly. previously all my react apps I would have to delete the site then re-create. Not a huge issue but I especially don’t want to do this with the custom domain, etc.

I pasted the updated build file yesterday at 6:33pm and this morning the Netlify’s robots are busy deploying your site to our CDN.

The deploy is still in progress. This seems like an awful long time because deploying the site manually usually takes a few seconds. Connecting the site with the custom domain took about 24+ hours so I’m wondering if this is the main reason.

Is this timeframe normal? is the prolonged deployment time amplified with the custom domain?

Thanks!

@KyleRomanos Sometimes the robots get stuck.

You can try cancelling the deploy and trying it again, the good old “turn it off and on again” approach.

It sounds like you’re doing a “drag & drop” deploy, and if there aren’t a many files it should only take a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for responding!
I’ve tried this twice now and still no success.

Is it possible there is an issue on the domain end? This site is deployed from an external custom domain (godaddy). Is it possible I need to update something from that side?

regards.

hey Kyle,

this sounds frustrating. Let me see if i can help.

so if i understand correctly, you are dragging and dropping some files to be deployed via netlify drop, is that correct? lets start there.

1 Like

The domain shouldn’t matter in regards to building/deploying, since they end up available on a .netlify.app subdomain regardless of other domain settings.

Then it’s likely something else is amiss, @perry should be able to sort you out.

1 Like

Hi perry,

This is correct.
The site was deployed successfully with the external domain but to update the build here are my steps.

1. click on my project/site from my team page dashboard.
  2. click on ‘deploys’
  3. I drag my most recent build folder from my PC (npm run build) to the section that says:

"Need to update your site?
Drag and drop your site output folder here

Or, browse to upload"

as of right now I can see the deploy is still in progress

“## Deploy in progress for [site name]”
Netlify’s robots are busy deploying your site to our CDN.

Deploy Log:

11:05:28 AM: Creating deploy upload records

great, thanks. Are you sure you are only deploying files that are html, javascript, css, and any images?

you can only deploy complete, finished, built static content via drag n drop - nothing that has to go through a build process in order to be deployed, that won’t work and will get stuck in the manner you are describing.

1 Like

I am deploying the external build folder that I create in visual studio code.
The same type of folder that is used to create the app with a ‘manual deploy’.

This is a react app so it’s difficult to upload the files since there’s so many of them.

Is there a better way to update a react app?

The easiest and best way to update apps on Netlify is almost always to use continuous integration (CI, also known as CD - continuous deployment) - that’s a key feature of the platform. You do some work, commit your changes, push to your gir provider, and we automatically detect those changes, build and deploy your site.

It’s much less error prone and once its set up, it is generally stable and reliable.

there are other options as well, such as deploying from a command line tool, but for your use case, i think deploying from a git repo is the best way to go. You can use github, bitbucket, gitlab or azure devops to store your repos.

You link your git repo to netlify, and once that is done, we handle the rest.

1 Like

one key advantage of using CI/CD is that as your sites get bigger and more complex, drag and drop stops working reliably. It’s really not intended for sites with more than a few html pages and a few small images - it’s perfect for “under contstruction” type maintenance pages or small projects, but anything more complex than that it’ll max out pretty quickly. It’s likely, i’m guessing, that this is what is happening here to you and why you keep getting stuck.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Perry.

Unfortunately I’m still having problems.
I’ve now connected with my GITHUB repository. I’m getting errors when trying to redeploy and in the end it’s failing to build.

I understand the CD is really a great feature. On my vanilla JS apps it worked flawlessly…However on React I was under the impression it was only possible to create the app by dropping the build folder you create.

When I initially create any react app this method works well I’m confused why it would not work for an update.

and an update…I tried to update via the CLI in VSC.
Whatever it did it seemed to break the code so when I manually deploy the site I get an error.
I’m likely going to be forced to build a whole new react-app and copy and paste everything.

What a pain! is there really no easier way to update react apps? This has turned into quite the frustrating operation.

hi Kyle, I specifically suggested that you use CI/CD for your application and pointed you towards documentation for that, not the CLI - why did you opt to not follow my advice?

The information you have about CI/CD only being for vanilla JS apps is not correct, you can run very complex build operations easily this way.

You will need to have an up to date package.json that includes the build commands and dependencies you need at the root of your project, and you’ll need to have a netlify account so that you can link your git repo to our system. This is the usual setup for 95%+ of netlify customers.

Please share a build log, or site name, or something that we can identify you in the system so we can assist. What is the error you have received?

1 Like

@KyleRomanos It may be unrelated but this user found that .map files in their react app were causing their build to get stuck on line #1.

https://answers.netlify.com/t/cannot-deploy-site/60379/

1 Like

Hi Nathan
I do have some .map functions in the app. Did this user find a way to work around this??
Thanks

They indicate in the thread that they deleted the files…

1 Like

Hi Perry,
My apologies I didn’t explain entirely. I did attempt the CI/CD method as you suggest and it didn’t work.
According to your documentation the CLI option was next on the list. I tried that and it seemed to make the biggest mess :slight_smile:

After further inspection trying the CI/CD method via github I noticed some errors on the build log.
Issues that had no impact when hosted locally on 3000 were causing error messages in the log.

I couldn’t tell if they were causing the FULL failure but I figured I may as well remove all errors and try again using the method you suggested.

This time it WORKED. now I’m confused why I’ve never been able to successfully deploy my app via CI until now (most likely something with what appeared to be irrelevant errors).

Now everything looks good and updating the site has never been easier.

THANK YOU

1 Like

that would not be sustainable for me but either way, looks like everything is finally resolved from Perry’s suggestion.

The main culprit on my side seemed to be a mistake using tailwind syntax on the main CSS file.
It wasn’t giving me errors when hosting locally but it appeared to be breaking the deployment build.

[postcss-preset-env: end value has mixed support, consider using flex-end instead]

@KyleRomanos When it breaks the deployment on Netlify, does it provide no error at all?

I’ve been having the same problem for manual drag and drop deploy in netlify from yesterday. it gets stuck at Creating deploy upload records. I build the app locally and drag and drop the dist folder, but it doesn’t deploy in netlify. I can confirm that locally serving the dist folder works, so there is nothing wrong with my build.