Introducing: Netlify Analytics!

We are SO EXCITED to finally drop Netlify Analytics! We have known this was coming for $someTime and now we are ready to share it with you! Detailed insights - usage - metrics - information - value.

Share your thoughts below!

6 Likes
2 Likes

:rocket:

4 Likes

I am very happy to JAM without Google Analytics, and even for the opportunity to pay Netlify for their service since I have a portfolio of low-traffic sites that don’t merit Pro plans.

Unfortunately, the flat pricing is a bit steep for that purpose. :frowning:

4 Likes

Looks like a nice service, but it’s too expensive, considering alternatives are free.

I imagine you’d have a lot more take up at 5$ per month.

(this is an issue with Netlify pricing in general - the leap in price between tiers is too large, and there should be a smaller tier for sites with very few visitors - but that’s a post for another day!)

7 Likes

Sounds like a nice service! From its design, it seems, it is not going to work for SPA/PWA applications,
am I right?

2 Likes

Analytics was the only thing what I really missed in Netlify and didn’t migrate all of my apps from Cloudflare, but $9/month per project for a simple hit counter? I hope free plan will be introduced soon at least just to try around before paying for it.

3 Likes

Is there a way of marking IP addresses to ignore, or excluding bots?

We have monitoring of our sites that is distorting the results.

Also would be great to have info on paths through the site in the next version please?

(Our take : Nice tool, very limited functionality at the moment, and so a little expensive for the features but happy to pay since we want to contribute to Netlify yet fall below the tiers on other functions - this is a way of showing our appreciation. Suspect others will find the tool more palatable at the $5 mark described in a comment above, but we’re hoping that this is the MVP and there’s more to come)

3 Likes

It’s great news. However competing against “free” Google analytics with 9 USD per month? I would be happy to pay for better, more private service but this is too much for me now.

1 Like

I’m also curious on how this works with SPAs

1 Like

I agree. I would like to support Netlify since many of my sites don’t get enough traffic to need to pay for service. But $9 a site is too steep for me at this point.

3 Likes

Just wanna add more weight tot he fact that this is an awesome move (SPA though?)!

But that pricing will just keep this closed for everyone wanting some nice analytics for the more private projects. I host a bunch of passion projects and personal pages through Netlify because the service is amazing. I would love analytics, even just a visitor count. But 9 per page per month is just not feasible as a private person hosting half a dozen sites non of which make money.

I hope we will see a cheaper alternative, maybe a flat priced all sites you host get basic analytics up to X visitors and with less insights kinda thing.

1 Like

Hi all! Thanks for the feedback on our new offering! We really appreciate that you spend the time with us to bring up concerns when something feels off to you. I also suspect it might also seem high due to the fact that there are other analytics offerings for free.

That said, here’s my point of view on it: For us, the cost of running a service like this in terms of staff, support, cost of infrastructure, etc isn’t cheap. We are providing a lot of other free services so I can see why sticker shock might exist, but ironically, this is why finding some features we’d like to keep as special offerings do help us support other starter tier offerings that we’d like to keep offering for free. Server-side analytics incur a slightly different cost as well (you’ll note that other server-side analytics tools tend not to be free, either).

I hope that helps clear some things up! Again, thanks for your time in writing us, we appreciate that this offering might not be for everyone. We’re very excited about it, the team has worked very hard in putting it together. Should you have suggestions for features within analytics that we might surface that would make it more valuable to you, we’re open to that as well :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I think you’ll find most of us commenting here have grown accustomed to value-based pricing models for digital services, rather than cost-based. You’re competing with “I can live without analytics” and GA, after all.

Speaking for myself, to get the value up to $9/month I would need support for multiple domains. I don’t really need anything else beyond simple resource popularity metrics.

2 Likes

I second the suggestion to provide some sort of filtering capability so we can ignore our own traffic. There really are no settings of any kind right now; I trust that’s only a sign of how young NA is as a service.

Re the elephant in the room, I’m not crazy about the $9/month either, but consider it fair given that the hosting is both excellent and, in my use case, free. I jumped on NA right away and hope my confidence is rewarded over time.

1 Like

I think $9/month is fair enough:

• I totally understand the costs of server side analytics.
  • Plus, the bigger upside of accurate anon server-side analytics seeing that adblockers is the norm these days makes this worth it considering the work to develop this in-house or find other solutions. Like the rest, the main drawback for me now is the inability to filter internal IP traffic and bots though.
1 Like

Hi!

You bring up an excellent point. We’ve heard this same thing from a few people now and are listening to the feedback. We’re working on improvements in the coming months- some features that will make it easier to tell what sort of traffic you’re getting. We hope you’ll enjoy them and they’ll address this issue. I appreciate you taking the time to comment here and let us know, it’s very valuable to us.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve just started with Netlify Analytics as well. I’m piloting it alongside other privacy-focused analytics like Fathom.

The first things that I’ve missed so far:

1. Only a single-month time range makes it quite difficult to gauge performance over time. Since I just enabled analytics it makes sense that I have only a month’s worth of backfilled data, but it’s a dealbreaker for me to only be able to see 30 days total data. @sarah are you aware of plans to extend this range any time soon – perhaps in step with how much data the oldest customers would have?
  2. Only hourly granularity can be limiting; I more often want to see daily or monthly figures and less often want to see hourly figures. Especially when dealing with longer time ranges, though those aren’t available right now. Will this be extended in the future – some sort of toggle or dropdown?
1 Like

It’s not really ideal for SPAs yet, but we’re working on some features to make that possible so that your very JS-heavy interaction can also be tracked. Keep an eye out for it in a few weeks!

1 Like

We’re working on the ability to filter down bot/other traffic right now!

2 Likes