Image transformation upscaling

Hi community!

The docs of the Netlify Image Transformation state that “Netlify will never scale an image larger than its original resolution” (see attached screenshot).

However, the example link provided: 1 returns a image that is 2793px wide. If I use the resize query to scale it to 3000px, 2, which gets scaled larger than its original resolution.

Is this intended behaviour or a bug?

Hi, @ulrichformann, and welcome to our Netlify community site. Thank you for the reproduction in the post itself as well!

I’ve asked this question to developers:

• Is this behavior a defect or is the documentation incorrect?

We’ll post another update here once we have more information.

1 Like

Is there any update on this case?
@luke

@ulrichformann, I also didn’t get an answer on this myself. I’m asking again and checking with other teammates that might have gotten an answer when I did not.

We’ll have another update soon.

1 Like

@luke It’s been a year now and I’m still dealing with this bug… have there been any updates?

Hi, @ulrichformann. There is an issue filed for this for the Large Media service itself but I don’t have an ETA for if/when this behavior might change.

There is also an open issue to remove that note from the documentation for now because transforming to a larger size is possible. I think the documentation change is more likely to happen soon than a change in the behavior of the image transformations.

In other words, I don’t expect a change anytime soon in the image transformation service itself. If there are other questions about this, please reply here anytime.