How to configure netlify to serve my site on app.domain.com (subdomain)?

Netlify instance name: capitolscience.netlify.com

I’m trying serve my app at app.capitolscience.com. I have pointed the nameservers on Google Domains to the ones in the netlify console. I have also created a CNAME record on Google Domains:

Name: app
Type: CNAME
TTL: 1h
Data: capitolscience.netlify.com.

I can access my app at capitolscience.com but instead I want to access it on app.capitolscience.com. Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Welcome to the Netlify community!

If you changed the nameservers to the Netlify ones, that means that Netlify takes care of your DNS records. I think you can simply add a custom domain to your site (app.capitolscience.com) and Netlify will pick it up.

You could configure it manually with a CNAME record, but you’ll have to do it in the Netlify DNS panel rather than in Google Domains since you switched the nameservers. I hope this makes sense!

1 Like

That makes sense. Another question. If I were to use Google Domains’ nameservers instead of Netlify’s then would creating a CNAME record to point to capitolscience.netlify.com. in Google Domains do the job? I would be removing the custom domains from netlify as well.

Yes, I think that should do the trick as well.

I am using Google Domains’ nameservers instead of Netlify’s and created a CNAME record:

Name: app
Type: CNAME
TTL: 1h
Data: capitolscience.netlify.com.

But when I go to app.capitolscience.com I get Not Found. I’ve waited for more than 48 hours after the reconfiguration. Is there anything else that I need to configure?

On Netlify, I only have the default subdomain (capitolscience.netlify.com) configured

Hi, @ezpz76, I see the DNS record working correctly.

There is only one step left to do. That is do add the custom domain under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains.

You can find those settings here. If the custom domain still doesn’t work after adding it there, please let us know.

1 Like