Connection refused on localhost in chrome and firefox

I am trying to follow this tutorial.

At 55:39 Ania is able to connect to her localhost:8888/.netlify port to see the records she has read from the graphql playground.

I am trying to do the same but cannot connect to the page. I have tried in both chrome and firefox and in both cases, I get a connection refused error message.

My terminal in vscode says it is connected

◈ Loaded function getGenres http://localhost:8888/.netlify/functions/getGenres.

My firewall has permitted access for both chrome and firefox, and I even tried disabling the firewall. The error still returns.

I tried it without my vpn turned on.

I have logged into netlify (I have nothing on github yet, so it’s just a local deployment).

Is there something special I need to do to be able to run local host with netlify?

The full text of the error message is:

This site can’t be reachedlocalhost refused to connect. Try:

Checking the connection Checking the proxy and the firewall ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Check your Internet connection Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems or other network devices you may be using. Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings. If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again. If you use a proxy server… Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure that the proxy server is working. If you don’t believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to Applications > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and deselect any proxies that have been selected.

In relation to #1, I am connected to the internet. I can run the local host on port 3000 and get the react app to load. it does not read anything from graphql.

In relation to #2, chrome and firefox are both added to my firewall

In relation to #3, no proxies are used - except the box to use FTP Mode PASV is checked. I tried unchecking it but it makes no difference.

I tried adding the local host 8888 url as a Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains in my system preferences - but it makes no difference.

Hi @Mellll,

Would you share the output from your Terminal once you run netlify dev? Also, are you running Node 17 locally by any chance? If yes, you might find this helpful:

Generally this happens when the service running on your localhost has some problem resolving the request. If you have access to logs, please see logs for more details on the error. Also, make sure the application interface, server, and services are running. There are many situations that might trigger “this site can’t be reached” error in browsers. Sometimes the server is still running but the interface application is closed or the database is down. If your application interface and server is up but a dependent service is down then restart your computer/server and restart services. Make sure the app is bound to localhost. It may just be bound to an individual interface. netstat -na will give you the clues you need. Run a port scan on your computer and make sure the port is opened.

Thanks for coming and sharing, @bradmacer !