Bluehost Email server not working

domain provider: bluehost
Issue: Using the provided email service in bluehost, since migration to netlify, email accounts unable to receive emails from external providers (like google). I can send e-mails to external providers and I am able to receive emails from another round cube inbox inside my bluehost mail server. I have added the DKIM and SPF records as directed inside the bluehost email setting, blue host is showing them as valid.

netlify site name: https://sea-of-green.netlify.app
custom domain: sog-landscape.com
error message (kick back in gmail when sending an email to @sog-landscape.com): DNS Error: DNS type ‘mx’ lookup of sog-landscape.com responded with code NOERROR DNS type ‘aaaa’ lookup of mail.sog-landscape.com. responded with code NXDOMAIN DNS type ‘a’ lookup of mail.sog-landscape.com. responded with code NXDOMAIN
sort of an error message: inside of the bluehost mail server settings, although its showing a green checkmark for valid email deliverability status, there is an exclamation point and when I hover over it showing: "The system does not control DNS for the “sog-landscape.com” domain. Contact the person responsible for the “dns3.p06.nsone.net”, “dns4.p06.nsone.net”, “dns1.p06.nsone.net”, “dns2.p06.nsone.net” nameservers and request that they update the records.

Bluehost does not have the best customer service. Their answer was wait longer, dns has not propegated, When I showed them the DNSchecker.org txt propegation was done, they pointed me to the above error and told me to contact netlify. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The is the MX record for sog-landscape.com

$ dig sog-landscape.com MX
sog-landscape.com.	4502	IN	MX	0 mail.sog-landscape.com.

The error message below is telling you that mail.sog-landscape.com has no records associated with it.

In order to get email working you need to find the correct DNS records for Bluehost’s mail servers.

A record was missing:
Name
mail.sog-landscape.com
TTL
3600 seconds
Type
A
Value

Email is slowly filtering all the queued emails. However now there is an issue with the external DNS, cant renew the certificate in Netlify and A records are not coming through at all on dnschecker.org. Domain no longer works.

Did you remove the records for sog-landscape.com? If so, why?

You will need to reassign sog-landscape.com as a custom domain in order to get the records back to make the site work again.

No I did not remove records. Bluehost is still set to four custom domain urls. I think I need another A record in netlify pointing to Netlify hosting IP

I had to add another record pointing at 104.198.14.52

sog-landscape.com is using Netlify DNS

$ dig sog-landscape.com NS
sog-landscape.com.	4502	IN	NS	dns1.p06.nsone.net.
sog-landscape.com.	4502	IN	NS	dns2.p06.nsone.net.
sog-landscape.com.	4502	IN	NS	dns3.p06.nsone.net.
sog-landscape.com.	4502	IN	NS	dns4.p06.nsone.net.

and www.sog-landscape.com is served by Netlify

$ curl -I https://www.sog-landscape.com
HTTP/2 301
content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 23:15:17 GMT
server: Netlify
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000
x-nf-request-id: 01HPQGV3KMVMT4Q9W0RCVAGNN9

because it is correctly assigned IP addresses

$ dig www.sog-landscape.com
www.sog-landscape.com.	27	IN	A	54.253.236.10
www.sog-landscape.com.	27	IN	A	3.24.66.78

However sog-landscape.com is missing any records. You should see NETLIFY records for this and the www subdomain in Netlify DNS see: [Support Guide] What are the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type DNS records? How do I delete these records? If you don’t then you have not correctly configured the domain.

This is not correct.