Sporadic errors: "This edge function has crashed - The deployment failed while serving the request"

I’m also running into this regularly, but inconsistently - without anything in the log when I click through. The latest ID was 01GAPWE3EATMNH84T36JSGQ571, and a re-deploy of the site seemed to fix the problem for now. But this is not the first time a re-deploy was needed to fix it.

I’m not sure if I should be removing edge functions from my site until there’s better reporting? Or if this should be resolved soon? I did notice that my previous two builds were both triggered by webhooks, if it’s possible that’s part of the problem? I’m not sure how to debug further, when the issues are so inconsistent, and there aren’t any logs.

When it works, it’s a great feature!

(My edge function is generated by Eleventy)

Hey @mia,

When you say a redeploy fixes the issue - does it fix for the deploy permalink for which it was failing? That’s what seems to happen at the moment, but wanted to confirm. I visited the deploy that was active during the request ID you’ve sent, and that deploy seems to be working. This should not have happened if the deploy in particular was a problem. But since you say redeploying fixes it, I don’t see why redeploying would fix an issue with a deploy that’s already done, unless it’s a system-issue and re-deploying it fixes it “coincidentally”.

It seemed to be fixing things when I posted - but then I found I was still having regular and inconsistent failures, even on the new deploys. I ended up removing the edge function for now, because I couldn’t figure out any better way to debug the issue.

We’re experiencing the same issue, getting edge related errors sporadically. We had a local reference to 11ty edge that broke out of the blue, replaced it with a CDN reference, we thought we were out of the woods, but looking at our monitoring logs we’re still getting random errors. Can’t be reproduced either, the same request with identical headers runs fine for a while, then crashes again.

In our situation, it is possible that those errors are related to cold starts. After deploying today I kept getting that generic edge function error, still no log, but after sending a bunch of requests, about 5 minutes after deployment, pages starting loading.

It’s a problem though, since we’re getting ready to launch. We’re using 11ty edge functions btw, although I don’t know that it’s related. Our site used to work great, then there was a breaking change that seemed to be related to the 11ty edge dependency, we moved that dependency to a CDN URL, the site started working again but we’re encountering these weird random errors.

The key problem I think is lack of visibility. Errors and no log.

Any idea when Edge Functions are supposed to be out of beta? We’re new to Netlify , is it pretty common for your guys to publicly advertise and charge for a new feature yet keep in beta for months?