Python 3.11 or newer

Hello.
Since the repo for build image was archived, I wanted to create a new post on the forum to discuss/follow this suggestion.

It will be pretty interesting and useful to update the Python version of Netlify.

Python 3.11 is quicker, with 20/30% of improvement in speed. Furthermore, using mkdocs, many plugins upgrade to use the syntax and function added in 3.10 & 3.11.

3 Likes

Hi @Mara-li,

The devs are aware of the request and are working on it. As they’ve mentioned, there’s no ETA.

Just FYI, Sphinx has just dropped support for Python 3.8 on their master branch, meaning their next major version release won’t be supported in the current state of the netlify Ubuntu 20.04 based runners:

1 Like

It’s actually been dropped in Sphinx 7.2.0:
https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/changes.html#release-7-2-0-released-aug-17-2023

This means that Sphinx 7.1.2 is the last Sphinx version which is currently supported when using netlify.

Please have a look at updating the runner images with support for newer Python versions. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, @bastimeyer. I’ve passed this to the devs.

+1 this post, 3.11 and newer has improved performance, syntax, typing, etc

having access to it would b so good

Python 3.8 has been in the “security-fix-only” release cycle since 2021-06-28 and will reach its end of support in October 2024:

No idea which 3.8 version netlify includes in its build-images, but considering that no recent Python versions are available, it probably won’t be a recent one either.

Please be aware that lots of projects will stop supporting 3.8 once it’ll be dropped by the Python devs, which is in about half a year. As mentioned in my previous post, Sphinx has already dropped support for 3.8 in its 7.2.0 release, which means that all releases since then (see the link to Sphinx’s changelog above) currently can’t be installed. For us, this means that our netlify builds which we’re using for PR previews on GitHub slowly diverge from our production builds which are hosted on GitHub pages.

Please have a look at providing up-to-date Python environments in your build images, thank you.