`netlify dev` results in "Could not find function 'next-dev'"

When I run netlify dev, it doesn’t work and I get this error:

Error - Could not find function 'next-dev'

Here is the error from the console:

◈ Failed to run Edge Function next-dev:
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions-serve/dev.js:7:35 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/netlify-cli/node_modules/@netlify/edge-bundler/deno/config.ts:12:10 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}

When I checked the .netlify/edge-functions folder, the vendor folder doesn’t even exist.

I am on WIndows 10 64bit. It’s a NextJS project.

I have installed deno on my systems already…

Update:

I do not encounter this error when I run netlify dev from an Administrator cmd window.

But now I get this error:

◈ Netlify Dev ◈
◈ No app server detected. Using simple static server
◈ Unable to determine public folder to serve files from. Using current working directory
◈ Setup a netlify.toml file with a [dev] section to specify your dev server settings.
◈ See docs at: https://cli.netlify.com/netlify-dev#project-detection
◈ Running static server from "Next.js"
◈ Setting up local development server

◈ Static server listening to 3999

And a 404 not found at localhost:8888

Nevermind, I’m a dummy. I was running the elevated cmd in the wrong folder.

Running netlify dev in the elevated cmd window inside my project folder gives the same error as the top:

Here is the full output:

Netlify Dev ◈
◈ Setting up local development server
◈ Starting Netlify Dev with custom config
√ Waiting for framework port 3000. This can be configured using the 'targetPort' property in the netlify.toml

   ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
   │                                                 │
   │   ◈ Server now ready on http://localhost:8888   │
   │                                                 │
   └─────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

◈ Loaded edge function netlify dev handler
◈ Loaded function getServices
◈ Failed to run Edge Function next-dev:
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions-serve/dev.js:7:35 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/netlify-cli/node_modules/@netlify/edge-bundler/deno/config.ts:12:10 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
  ▲ Next.js 13.5.4
  - Local:        http://localhost:3000
  - Environments: .env

 ✓ Ready in 2.3s
◈ Reloading edge functions...
◈ Failed to run Edge Function next-dev:
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions-serve/dev.js:7:35 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/netlify-cli/node_modules/@netlify/edge-bundler/deno/config.ts:12:10 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
◈ Failed reloading edge function
◈ Reloading edge functions...
◈ Failed to run Edge Function next-dev:
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions-serve/dev.js:7:35 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
TypeError: Module not found "file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/vendor/esm.sh/v91/next@12.2.5/deno/dist/server/web/spec-extension/request.js".
    at file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Next.js/gobetterway/.netlify/edge-functions/next-dev/index.js:1:29
    at async file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/netlify-cli/node_modules/@netlify/edge-bundler/deno/config.ts:12:10 {
  code: "ERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND"
}
◈ Failed reloading edge function

Here is netlify.toml:

[build]
  command = "next build"
  publish = ".next"

[functions]
  included_files = ["src/data/services/**"]

[[plugins]]
  package = "@netlify/plugin-nextjs"

[dev]
  command = "npm run dev"
  targetPort = 3000
  port = 8888
  framekwork = "next"

I have tried command = "npm run dev" and command = "next dev" and also having no [dev] config.

I have tried clearnig npm cache, deleting .netlify, node_modules, and .next and redoing npm install. I have tried with my site linked and unlinked.

Please help me lol

Please share a minimal reproduction that we can check on our end.

Thank you for getting back to me, but I found the problem. I had "@netlify/plugin-nextjs": "^4.40.2", under my dependencies in my package.json.

I removed it, ran npm i and then netlify dev worked.

Hope this helps someone else!

oh awesome! thanks for sharing this with the community.

I am having this same issue but didn’t have that in my package.json, did you make any other change to get this to work?

I checked all my netlify sites, all are having this issue now in my local environment.

I have the same issue “Failed to run Edge Function next-dev:” in my local environment. If it’s useful additional info:

  • I upgraded the netlify CLI to see if that would resolve the error, no luck
  • I do not have @netlify/plugin-nextjs referenced in package.json

Sorry to hear about the trouble, y’all! I’ve raised this issue with our dev team and they are looking into it for us.

Strange, it was working for me this morning… Havn’t touched it since, came back just now, and have the error again :S

FYI, here is the stack trace which I don’t believe I have posted yet:

Error: Could not find function 'next-dev'
    at FunctionChain.getFunction (https://650bfd807b21ed000893e25c--edge.netlify.com/bootstrap/function_chain.ts:255:13)
    at FunctionChain.runFunction (https://650bfd807b21ed000893e25c--edge.netlify.com/bootstrap/function_chain.ts:346:23)
    at FunctionChain.run (https://650bfd807b21ed000893e25c--edge.netlify.com/bootstrap/function_chain.ts:316:31)
    at handleRequest (https://650bfd807b21ed000893e25c--edge.netlify.com/bootstrap/handler.ts:117:34)
    at Server. (https://650bfd807b21ed000893e25c--edge.netlify.com/bootstrap/server.ts:42:7)
    at Server.#respond (https://deno.land/std@0.170.0/http/server.ts:299:37)
    at Server.#serveHttp (https://deno.land/std@0.170.0/http/server.ts:346:20)
    at eventLoopTick (ext:core/01_core.js:183:11)

I also started seeing this later this afternoon (earlier this morning was working fine)
Only local development seems to be impacted, preview builds seem ok

This started happening to us this morning and is still happening now. Netlify Support could we please get an update on this issue?

Hi Netlify Support, really looking for an answer here. It’s stopping our development on local.

Worked around this for now by adding the plugin to package.json and downgrading to 4.40.1: “@netlify/plugin-nextjs”: “4.40.1”,

Just adding that as of yesterday evening I had this issue. No code changes / updates, ‘netlify dev’ just stopped working. I didn’t have @netlify/plugin-nextjs in my package.json

I can confirm that @aaronupwell workaround fixed it for me temporarily.

Hi thank you all for writing in about this our team has actioned this.

@SamO - just FYI - also not working for me as of yesterday afternoon or so.

I used to have this issue before as well but updating fixed it. I am having the same issue again, just like everyone else. I hope this gets fixed soon as local testing isn’t available.