Need SSL for branch deploy subdomain after changing the primary custom domain

Hi!

My netlify site name is “determined-bell-8f1af6.netlify.app”
I changed my custom primary domain name for this app to “dashboard.deskmy.com”.

I followed the steps on this post: [Support Guide] How to use Netlify’s branch deploy feature without Netlify DNS

And the last time i asked for this a member in the support teams told me once i changed the primary custom domain i could go on and make another topic on the Support category to ask for the SSL certificate to cover my new subdomain, which is “develop.dashboard.deskmy.com

I ran the 3rd step and nslookup returns:

Server:		127.0.0.53
Address:	127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
develop.dashboard.deskmy.com	canonical name = develop--determined-bell-8f1af6.netlify.app.
Name:	develop--determined-bell-8f1af6.netlify.app
Address: 54.94.70.35
Address: 18.230.166.167
Address: 2600:1f1e:c3c:f302:2e81:3ae0:443e:ee99
Address: 2600:1f1e:c3c:f300:6858:528e:abc5:bcc

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Let me congratulate you all, this branch deploy feature from Netlify is amazing and have been helping my team for real!!

hi there 2rdeploy,

unfortunately we can’t fulfill your request at this time. We can indeed set up branch subdomains without using Netlify DNS, but in your case your apex domain deskmy.com does not point to a service hosted on netlify.

We have a provision in our terms of use that prohibits this. do you remember the support engineer who you spoke to about this at an earlier point in time? no one is in trouble, i just want to make sure we didn’t mislead you when we corresponded about this before.

1 Like

Oh, that’s too bad :hushed:, i will read the terms so that i can explain this. But just to elucidate, if i were to change to Netlify DNS i would be able to configure the DNS the way i presented without having to make this request in the forums?

hi there, happy to explain. Its not a matter of using Netlify DNS or not using Netlify DNS. The problem is that that deskmy.com is not hosted on Netlify.

if deskmy.com is hosted on netlify, then setting up subdomains is something we can do, with or without using Netlify DNS.

let me know if you still have questions!

1 Like