Move this community thing to slack etc - this is not effective

Hi @henry212 :wave:t2:

I’ll preface this with the disclaimer that I too am not an official Netlify employee. Greg and I are both Community Pilots on this forum; generally akin to a moderator and/or knowledgable figure

I’d like to reiterate that Perry’s response in the other slack-related thread you replied to is still quite on par. Gitter has some searchability, Slack has very very little, and neither provide a public, centralized repository of data for anybody to search through quite like a Discourse instance. This is the Netlify Community. It’s not segmented into multiple platforms, it’s not spread across different user groups or email lists, it’s just this system right here. Simple and central :slight_smile:

To your point of hang-time…

There are few things we need to keep in mind. First and foremost is that Netlify provides a lot of stuff for free. Sure, a good deal of that is automated on their end and their scale allows for it, but it doesn’t change the R&D cost of making their product(s) or the operation cost of their business. For an individual developer, even building production-tier client sites, the Free tier is so freakin’ good it’s not even funny.

One cost that simply can’t be automated is support. Netlify’s team of support engineers is both brilliant and expensive :slight_smile: You’re free to read back through the thousands of support posts on this forum and tens of thousands of replies full of deeply contextual information to prove that point, but Netlify Support Engineers spending tons of time here in The Community just isn’t good company operations. Don’t get me wrong, they do spend a lot of time here and do fabulous work supporting people, but there’s a reason that the “Email Technical Support” feature isn’t available until you get to at least the first paid tier. Support is expensive. Engineering time is expensive. If you’re a Business+ customer, you can get the sort of immediate support you’re looking for, but (and, rightly so) it costs money.

The Community is a great place. There are a number of really fantastic Community Pilots like Greg and myself who have helped countless people and have dug really deep into folks’ issues to help them move forward and figure out problems… but at the end of the day, the Netlify docs are really good, most of Netlify’s own code is open source if you’re willing to read through it, and this Community has a ton of information in its backlog you can search through. I personally look out for questions that strike me as “that may not actually be documented” and love to dive in on those sorts of things, but I have a life too :slight_smile: Let’s just keep realistic expectations of a free service and a community that does have official support but is also strongly powered by community volunteers.

That all said, I recognize that DNS is tricky and not super intuitive. Echoing Greg, if you’d like continued help on your troubles here, always feel free to post back. I don’t see a public / community Netlify Slack coming any time soon, but the Community Pilots and Support Engineers will always be happy to help folks out here… it can just take a bit of time :slight_smile:

Jon

1 Like