Is it not possible to deploy json files in netlify functions?

Google Firestore would like me to set up an env variable to point to a json file containing credentials. AFAICT, during deployment (netlify cli or via github push), json files in function folders get dropped.

I may be able to get around this using Google’s REST authorization API, but the env variable + JSON option is much cleaner.

hi @JeffML ! Just making sure you were aware that the #opentalk category is a dedicated place for discussion and experiments - we don’t do support in this channel! If you need to move this, please go ahead and edit the category :slight_smile:

Thanks. I tried support, no response. That’s why I went here, hoping someone with experience using firestore via lambda functions would know what I need to know.

Hi @JeffML, I’ve moved this over to the support category for you. We don’t drop files during deployment. You can zip your function along with a json file and use that. This is the same concept as zipping your function along with a node_modules and they are available to your function during runtime. There are also other methods people have used to get their google credentials into lambda functions, since it’s not just a Netlify issue. I don’t have a link handy but if you google search then you can find some answers.

My (mis?) understanding is if I use Netlify Dev deployment, I don’t need to bundle or zip anything. Here’s the original issue(s):

My next attempt is going to be to ditch netlify-lambda and webpack, shove the .json in my functions folder, change netlify.toml to point to the functions folder (instead of functions-build) and just deploy via Netlify Dev’s CLI. What could go wrong?

@futuregerald,

I tried the simple folder approach (no netlify-lambda) and the zip-it-and-ship-it approach. Neither worked. Details here.

Appreciate your help. I’m sure there’s a way forward somewhere.

– Jeff

hey jeff, sorry to hear you are still struggling. We are going to take another look at that thread when we have a chance. I’m going to go ahead and close this one so we don’t lose track of things. :muscle: