Hugo submodule with PaperMod - error says to remove site from .gitmodules but it's not there

Can anyone please point me in the right direction with this?

Site worked 4 months ago; now trying to do an update and probably I’ve changed something incorrectly. Deploy fails and log says:
11:06:22 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build
11:06:22 PM: No cached dependencies found. Cloning fresh repo
11:06:22 PM: git clone GitHub - craigfisk/priceandposition: Mixed business and tech blog in PaperMod theme on Hugo (gohugio.io).
11:06:22 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/main
11:06:23 PM: Error checking out submodules: fatal: No url found for submodule path ‘priceandposition’ in .gitmodules
11:06:23 PM: Creating deploy upload records
11:06:23 PM: Failing build: Failed to prepare repo
11:06:23 PM: Failed during stage ‘preparing repo’: Error checking out submodules: fatal: No url found for submodule path ‘priceandposition’ in .gitmodules
: exit status 128

But “priceandposition” is the name of the site and it is not in .gitmodules; PaperMod, which is a submodule, is, as seen here:
[submodule “themes/PaperMod”]
path = themes/PaperMod
url = git@github.com:adityatelange/hugo-PaperMod.git

So I’m confused.

On my development system, “git submodule status” shows:
1d2ecfedac9f97dfd24dbce47f3e24c7c6750e19 themes/PaperMod (v6.0-41-g1d2ecfed)

Also, I tried again from the development system, before running hugo, git add ., git commit, git push origin main, I did
git rm --cached priceandposition
which returned
rm ‘priceandposition’

which seems like it was removed from git cache.

Solved the mystery of “error checking out submodules. No url found for submodule path ‘priceandposition’ in .gitmodules” which was actually not in .gitmodules. Solution was to do “git rm --cached themes/priceandposition” even though “priceandposition” was not in themes or in .gitmodules. See Issue with adding common code as git submodule: "already exists in the index" - Stack Overflow