Error building a site in hugo (.gitmodules)

Since first building the hugo website in Netlify I have been having persistent build fails.
Site name: https://martin-blog.netlify.app

PLEASE help us help you by writing a good post!

Log:
8:36:06 PM: Build ready to start

8:36:08 PM: build-image version: 9d79ad851d6eff3969322d6e5b1df3d597650c41

8:36:08 PM: build-image tag: v3.3.19

8:36:08 PM: buildbot version: 2cc7ea668a3e8f63326d15aab17e62cd1997fa2e

8:36:08 PM: Fetching cached dependencies

8:36:08 PM: Starting to download cache of 72.7MB

8:36:10 PM: Finished downloading cache in 1.968322099s

8:36:10 PM: Starting to extract cache

8:36:13 PM: Finished extracting cache in 2.892485236s

8:36:13 PM: Finished fetching cache in 4.889611816s

8:36:13 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build

8:36:14 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master

8:36:18 PM: Error checking out submodules: fatal: No url found for submodule path ā€˜themes/mainroadā€™ in .gitmodules

8:36:18 PM: Failing build: Failed to prepare repo

8:36:18 PM: Failed during stage ā€˜preparing repoā€™: Error checking out submodules: fatal: No url found for submodule path ā€˜themes/mainroadā€™ in .gitmodules
: exit status 128

8:36:18 PM: Finished processing build request in 9.863745883s

Not sure why .gitmodules is required and why isnā€™t it added automatically however tried adding it under the theme folder and still wouldnā€™t work. Used this as reference: Git - gitmodules Documentation

[submodule ā€œthemes/mainroadā€]
path = themes/mainroad
url = git://github.com/vimux/mainroad

Hi, @mcdragon, I do see successful builds today. Did you resolve the issue? If so, weā€™d love to learn what solution worked for you?

The usual root cause and solution for this are covered in this support guide:

The repo listed in .gitmodules above is a public repo. In many cases, it will be a requirement to change the URL into a https:// prefixed URL instead of the git:// prefix.

ā€‹Please let us know if it there are any unresolved issues or questions and weā€™ll do our best to answer.

Thank you Luke

I think I did create a submodule but I still couldnā€™t find what the problem was.
So I backtracked and reinstalled the theme but this time cloned it from the original project and then created a submodule.
However the theme changes still wonā€™t end up on the hugo site on Netlify.

Martin

OK, sounds like you didnā€™t actually get things created or configured correctly, then :slight_smile: Could you share your .gitmodules file, as well as a link to your recent build logs with it in place, in our UI?

That will help us narrow things down a bit more, hopefully!

Here it is
[submodule ā€œthemes/mainroadā€]
path = themes/mainroad
url = GitHub - mcdragonsi/Mainroad: Responsive, simple, clean and content-focused Hugo theme based on the MH Magazine lite WordPress theme

Hello @mcdragon

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Not sure if this will help. But, I had to go into the .git directory and open up the config file that was there. I noticed that though i had a ā€œsubmoduleā€ with name ā€œXā€ in the .gitmodules file, i also had a reference of the same name in the .git --> config file. It was a difference purpose, I forget what it was. I removed that reference (as well as a few other bad references i had somehow created), and things worked perfectly for me.

Hopefully that might help you.

ps - you wonā€™t find ALL of these config settings in a GUI, so only the file.

1 Like