Error setting DNS

Hello, I tried adding a custom domain but it errored, and now I can’t do anything to set it up. I get an error: “A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”. How should I proceed? Thank you

Hi, @igorsilveira, and welcome to the Netlify community site: :smiley:

NS1 is a DNS SaaS company. We use NS1 (https://ns1.com/) for DNS services at Netlify.

The reason for this error (“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”) is because some other company has already configured a DNS zone for this domain at NS1. Because it already exists, Netlify cannot create a new one.

We are not the only company that builds our services using NS1 as a component. For example, if I am not mistaken, Squarespace also uses NS1. If you configured this domain at Squarespace (or some other service) that will prevent us from doing the same.

There are two solutions for this.

The first solution for this will be to discover which other service you have used this domain with. Then contact that service to have them remove the configuration for this domain at NS1. That is the only solution which allows for using Netlify DNS for this domain name.

There is another solution. Instead of using Netlify DNS, you can also use external DNS for the custom domain at Netlify.

You might also use external DNS in the interim while you work with the other company to remove the DNS configuration they already have at NS1.

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

1 Like

Thank you for your response!

I have just bought this domain, so I have no idea if is has previously been reagistes or not. How can I check that?

Thank you

Hi, @igorsilveira, we don’t own the domain so NS1 won’t be able to tell us.

However, if you contact NS1 about this, they will likely be able to assist you with finding out who created the DNS zone configuration for this domain with their service because you are the person that registered that domain.

There is more information about contacting the NS1 support team here:

If they are unable to assist with tracking down who else created a configuration there, please let us know.

1 Like