Domain has multiple A records

Hi there,

I got an error mail about the renewal of my SSL/TLS certificate and I have no idea how to solve it.

My netlify site is divinenanny.netlify.app, my custom domain divinenanny.nl. The error is:
Domain divinenanny nl has multiple A records

We can’t renew your Let’s Encrypt certificate automatically until the issue is resolved. Check our troubleshooting guide for more information on how to fix the problem, and then renew the certificate.

Which is correct, I think, if I do a dig:
dig divinenanny nl

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> divinenanny nl
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56943
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;divinenanny nl. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
divinenanny nl. 20 IN A 167.99.129.42
divinenanny nl. 20 IN A 157.230.103.136

;; Query time: 16 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.178.1#53(192.168.178.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Jul 14 15:32:25 CEST 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 75

I did a whois on those two IPs, they’re both from Digital Ocean. I also did a flush through the Google service but all that did was change the two ip’s, there are still two (for Digital Ocean)

However, I have my DSN via Netlify:
NS 1 = dns1.p03.nsone net
NS 2 = dns2.p03.nsone net
NS 3 = dns3.p03.nsone net

And in Netlify I have these settings (including subdomains)
books.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFY divinenanny-books.netlify com
cv.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFY divinenanny-cv.netlify com
divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFY divinenanny.netlify com
www.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFY divinenanny.netlify com
books.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFYv6 divinenanny-books.netlify app
cv.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFYv6 divinenanny-cv.netlify app
divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFYv6 divinenanny.netlify app
www.divinenanny nl 3600 IN NETLIFYv6 divinenanny.netlify app

As far as I can tell the only one managing any type of DNS records is Netlify. But where is that second record coming from? How can I delete it? How can I renew my SSL certificate?

Please help?

(NB, I have changed most .nl mentions to just nl because the forum saw it as too many links for a newbie post)

Hello, I am getting the same exact error, but I’m just trying to setup a new site with a custom domain and SSL.

I’ve set the correct name servers on Dynadot where my domain is registered, so all the DNS records are managed by Netlify. I am seeing the same error message of ‘Domain X has multiple A records’, even though I am not setting the A records myself. This is preventing the SSL certificate from being created.

Is Netlify experiencing issues related to this at the moment? Any help would be great, thank you!

hi there @stasb, what custom domain is this regarding? we are seeing multiple posts with the same problem and investigating now.

howdy, we have figured out what went wrong here and fixed your site, sorry for the hiccup and do let us know if you keep having issues.

hey! Yep it’s all fixed now. I’ve tested with two sites/domains and its working same as before.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi Perry,

My problems are fixed too, thanks!

Sara

2 Likes